Driver cited for marijuana following traffic checkpoint
By Shavonne Walker
A Salisbury man was issued a citation Tuesday after an officer smelled marijuana during a traffic checkpoint set up at the intersection of North Main and West Henderson streets.
Darryl Melvin Chambers II, 31, of the 200 block of Sunset Drive, was given a citation for misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance Schedule VI, misdemeanor weapons concealed under a controlled substance and misdemeanor failure to notify the sheriff’s office of an address change regarding a weapon.
An officer noted in his report that the Chevrolet Malibu came through the checkpoint and the when the driver, later identified as Darryl Chambers, rolled down the window the officer could smell marijuana.
Chambers gave the officer consent to search the vehicle and the officer found 15 grams in the center console of the car.
He was given a written promise to appear in court.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports
• A woman reported on Tuesday someone took her license plate from her vehicle that was parked in the Harris Teeter parking lot.
• A man reported on Tuesday he was the victim of larceny while at Sam’s Car Wash, 800 E. Innes St.
• A man reported on Tuesday his truck was stolen from the parking lot of Village Inn Pizza, 2138 Statesville Blvd.
• A woman reported on Tuesday she was the victim of an assault in the 500 block of North Shaver Street.
• A woman reported on Tuesday that someone stole items from her vehicle parked in the 200 block of West McCubbins Street.
• Tractor Supply Co. reported a larceny at the business, 405 S. Jake Alexander Blvd.
• Authorities found drugs during a vehicle search in the 1900 block of Old Wilkesboro Road.
• Authorities found drugs in the 400 block of North Main and East Cemetery streets.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports
• A man reported on Monday he was the victim of larceny in the 1600 block of Deal Road, Mooresville.
• A man reported on Monday someone stole copper wire and pipe from the 5200 block of South Main Street.
• A woman reported on Monday she was the victim of a burglary that occurred between May 16 and Monday in the 300 block of Vineyard Drive.
• Kenneth Lee Lowery, 40, was charged on Monday with felony possession of a controlled substance Schedule I while at Woodleaf Road.
• Mary Katherine Marie Adkins, 24, was charged on Monday with felony breaking and entering while at Woodleaf Road.
• Christal Null, 30, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor assault on a handicapped person while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Samantha Kaye Walters, 24, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor communicating threats while in the 100 block of Cypress Lane.
• Benjamin Thomas Cline, 29, was charged on Monday with felony possession of a controlled substance Schedule II while at the Rowan County Courthouse.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.