Blotter: Man threatens Marshalls staff with gun after theft
By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — A local man was charged with armed robbery after he and a woman walked into Marshalls, stole shoes and threatened the loss prevention officer with a gun he claimed was in his waistband.
Gregory Allen Ogara, 32, was charged Monday with felony robbery with a dangerous weapon and hit and run with property damage.
The Salisbury Police Department reported that about 7:45 p.m. Monday, a man and woman entered the store. Both tried on a pair of shoes and walked out of the store with them. The man also had two pairs of shoes under his arm.
A loss prevention officer approached the two and the man, later identified as Gregory Ogara, kept placing his hands in his pants. The officer warned him to take his hands out, fearing Ogara had a handgun.
According to a police report, Ogara told the officer he’d better be worried about the gun behind his back. He left the scene in a white Ford Explorer, hitting a parked car in the process.
Ogara was identified when an officer recognized him. No details were provided on the identity of the woman.
Police officials said because Ogara said he had a gun and the store employee believed he had a gun, the charges are for felony armed robbery instead of misdemeanor shoplifting.
In other Salisbury police reports
• A man reported vandalism Monday in the 300 block of Roy Street.
• A woman reported Monday that items were stolen from her property in the 2100 block of Statesville Boulevard.
• Paul Eugene Flahive, 53, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 200 block of West Lafayette Street.
• Kyle Derek Casbon, 33, was charged Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 200 block of West Lafayette Street.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports
• A man reported a burglary Monday in the 5900 block of U.S. 601.
• A man reported Monday that someone stole items from his outbuilding in the 6200 block of Meadow Lane.
• Eddie Albert Williams, 50, was charged Monday with misdemeanor assault on a female at the Rowan County Courthouse.
• Desmon Jermaine Torrence, 28, was charged Monday with misdemeanor simple assault at the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
• Anthony Scott Clayton, 29, was charged Monday with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon at West Main and Market streets, Rockwell.
• Cody Ryan Bell, 25, was charged Monday with misdemeanor breaking and entering in the 3700 block of U.S. 601.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.