Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. A trio of military veterans will be opening a new brewery in September as part of a downtown revitalization in Kannapolis. What are Kyle Lingafelt, Stefan Perrine and Richard Bradley calling their enterprise?
A. Beachhead Brewing Co.
B. Storm Trooper Works
C. Reconnaissance Brewery Inc.
D. Armory Beer Co.
2. Rowan-Salisbury Schools will be taking sealed bids until 2 p.m. May 16 in efforts to sell 14 of these. What are they trying to sell?
A. Sections of bleachers that have been replaced in several high school and middle school gymnasiums
B. Mobile units that have been used as classrooms, office space and storage
C. School buses
D. Used flagpoles
3. The Father & Son Produce stand on Sherrill Fords Road has a new attraction. What is it?
A. An overhead train meant to attract customers to the store’s “Ice Cream Depot”
B. Pony rides on Saturdays and Sundays
C. A Ferris Wheel
D. A petting zoo
4. At 81, Marvin Jones made a bit of history at the J.F. Hurley Family YMCA by doing what?
A. Being the oldest to bench press 200 pounds
B. Being the oldest to run a mile in under 6 minutes
C. Being the oldest to compete in the Y’s annual triathlon
D. Being the oldest to win the Easter foul-shooting contest
5. “One way of the other, the town is going to have to take this on the chin and decide do they really want my help?” What town manager said these words during this past week?
A. Landis Interim Town Manger Kenny Isenhour
B. Salisbury City Manager Lane Bailey
C. Spencer Town Manager Terrence Arrington
D. China Grove Town Manager Ken Deal
6. The names of five new inductees into the N.C. Music Hall of Fame in Kannapolis were released this past Thursday. Who among this new group to be inducted into the hall produced R.E.M.’s early albums from 1981-84?
A. Big Daddy Kane
B. Mitch Easter
C. Elizabeth Cotten
D. Merle Watson
7. Two Rowan County schools which previously provided free breakfast and lunches to all students enrolled without the need for an application will no longer be eligible for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Community Eligibility Provision. Which two schools are affected?
A. Koontz and Hurley elementary schools
B. Knox Middle and Overton Elementary
C. Isenberg and Hanford Dole elementary schools
D. Knollwood and China Grove elementary schools
8. An airplane stolen from Mid-Carolina Regional Airport in Salisbury crash landed in another state, killing the pilot and his passenger. In what state did the plane, which contained a large sum of money and cocaine, crash?
B. West Virginia
9. Doris Schroen and five of her friends made or secured quilts that were presented over the weekend as gifts for the new women’s ministry for whom?
A. Prevent Child Abuse Rowan
B. Meal on Wheels of Rowan
C. Bethel Colony of Mercy
D. Rowan Veterans Service Council
10. Rowan County Sheriff’s Deputy John Howard has publicly aired his beef with the county over what kind of personnel benefits?
B. Health insurance
D. Sick leave
Answers to news quiz
By Shavonne Walker and Mark Wineka email@example.com SALISBURY — To John Howard, his years with the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office... read more