Week in review: Test your nose for local news
2. When it reaches 1,200 jobs, the Chewy distribution center’s employment will rank it where among private companies in Rowan County?
3. What is Chewy’s parent company?
4. Rowan County’s “fulfillment center” for Chewy will bring to how many the number of Chewy fulfillment centers in the United States?
5. During the recruitment period for Chewy, Rowan County Planning Director Ed Muire shared with local officials a personal experience he had with the company that strengthened their interest in Chewy. What did Muire tell them?
A. The Muire family received condolence flowers from Chewy after its dog died.
B. Chewy sent the Muires free dog food for a year because it messed up a previous order.
C. Chewy had one-day delivery on a dog bed the Muires ordered just five days before Christmas.
D. Chewy offers free prosthetic legs to injured dogs, and the Muire family took advantage of that gesture.
6. One of the world’s top thinkers on energy, Amory Lovins, spoke Wednesday night at Catawba College. Of all the countries the United States is lagging behind in the use of and focus on renewable energy, which nation is it most behind, according to Lovins?
7. City Park in Salisbury is having a mild controversy these days over what recent change?
A. The removal of five crape myrtles and their replacement by holly bushes
B. A new prohibition against fishing at City Lake
C. A new prohibition against feeding waterfowl at City Lake
D. The relining of tennis courts and conversion of two tennis courts to accommodate pickleball
8. Gusting winds a week ago uprooted a large oak on West Monroe Street, damaging two houses with ties to what important figure from Salisbury’s past?
A. James E.K. Aggrey
B. A.R. Kelsey
C. Wiley Lash
D. Elizabeth Duncan Koontz
9. The Rowan County Board of Commissioners awarded a $727,895 contract last week to a Virginia firm to do what?
A. Renovate the Rowan County Health Department building
B. Provide annual medical services at the Rowan County Detention Center
C. Grade and pave a new parking lot at the Rowan County Fairgrounds
D. Run the Nature Center at Dan Nicholas Park
10. Students from Southeast Middle School won a national competition involving more than 250 schools in 36 states, and a sixth-grader, Bradley Gilbert, was the top national performer in this “growth challenge.” In what academic subject was Southeast Middle deemed best in the country?
C. Social studies
Answers to news quiz:
SALISBURY — None of the kids noticed, but Wayne Kennerly walked through the Harold B. Jarrett American Legion Post meeting... read more