Things to do while the winter weather prevails
Published 12:00 am Thursday, January 3, 2019
Choose from classes in painting, crafts, dance, language, health and more or take the kids to a local art or history museum!
• The Hive, 126 E. Innes St, 704-951-7418 hiveandco.com
• Pottery 101, 101 S. Main St., 704-209-1632, www.pottery-101.com
• Rowan Public Library, www.rowancountync.gov
— HQ, 201 W Fisher St., 704-216-8228
— East, 110 Broad St., Rockwell, 704-216-7838
— South, 920 Kimball Road, China Grove, 704-216-7727
• Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, 1120 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave., 704-216-7714
• SoFul Yoga and Wellness, 1024 S Fulton St., www.SoFulYoga.com or SoFulSalisbury Facebook
• Waterworks Visual Arts Center, 123 E. Liberty St, waterworks.org
• West Rowan Farm & Garden, 11575 NC Highway 801, M t Ulla 704-807-1877 or facebook
Garden Party Saturday — 11 a.m.-noon Jan. 5: New monthly gardening club. January’s topic: garden planning and seed exchange. 704-216-7731, Rowan South Rowan Regional Library, 920 Kimball Road, China Grove, 704-216-7727
Japanese Smart Doll presented by the Carolina Smart Doll Club — 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Jan. 19: Designed by Danny Choo, the 1/3 scale (60 cm or 2 feet tall) Smart Doll encompasses Japanese culture. $3-$5. NC Museum of Dolls, Toys & Miniatures, 108 4th St, Spencer 704-762-9359, www.NCMDTM.com
8-week class at Pottery 101 —Beginning and intermediate wheel and glazing techniques. $215, for ages 14-adult.
• Tuesdays: 10:30-1 pm Jan 15-March 5 or
• Wednesdays: 6:30-9 pm Jan 16-March 6
101 S. Main St., 704-209-1
Classes at Waterworks Visual Arts Center — 2019 Spring Art class registration for youth and adults, is open. See the entire schedule and register at www.waterworks.org/education/classesandworkshops. 123 E. Liberty St, 704-636-1882 or www.waterworks.org
Guitar Classes at R-H — 6-8 week classes Monday afternoons. $40 plus $10 workbook. Bring your own guitar. Call Rufty-Holmes at 704-216-7714 or Bob at 704-640-0279. Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, 1120 S. Martin Luther King Jr Ave.
PPT youth theater Winter classes — Thursdays 5-7 pm starting Jan 17: Improv and Scene Study, $275. Imaginative story-telling, creating characters, improvisation, problem solving, teamwork. Includes showcase performance open to the public. 704-633-5471 or PiedmontPlayers.com
Tai chi series at SoFul Yoga — 4:15 pm Mondays: Eight classes suitable for beginners, Jan 7-Feb 25. Cost is $90. Register online at www.schdulebliss.com/sofulyoga. • SoFul Yoga and Wellness, 1024 S Fulton St.
St. John’s Lutheran Senior Academy — 10-11:30 a.m. Jan. 15, 22, 29: For 60+ adults desiring bible study and continuing education. Features history post WWII and local Gratitude Train Celebration. St. John’s Lutheran Church, 200 W. Innes St., 704-636-3431, stjohns-salisbury.org
Rown History course — Thursdays, mosly 70-8:30 p.m. 13 week course Feb. 7-May 9: Meet at various historic locations beginning with Rowan Museum. Includes Native Americans, early pioneers, Revolutionary War, Civil War, industrialization, right up to modern times. Basic text is “Rowan County… A Brief History” by James S. Brawley, available at RPL or on CD at the class for $10. Registration fees, information, schedule and materials at www.historicsalisbury.org/education/history-class or email email@example.com or call 704-636-0103.
Beginner line dancing — • 1-2 pm Thursdays: Rufty-Holmes Senior Center, $4 per class • New Beginners only Line Dancing: Noon. $4 per class . Taught by Cheryl Kluttz. Pre-register at Rufty-Holmes, 704-216-7714
Free online courses through RPL — Gale Courses: high-quality, noncredit online courses free with your library card. www.rowanpubliclibrary.org or call 704-216-8243
• China Grove Roller Mill — Original equipment in place. Admission info 704-433-3912. www.rowanmuseum.org
• Textile Heritage Center Museum — 131 Church St., Cooleemee, Admission info 284-6040, www.textileheritage.org/cooleemee
• Historic Gold Hill, 735 St Stephens Church Road — Life in the 1800s gold mining boom town. Admission info 704-279-5674, www.HistoricGoldHill. com
• Historic Rockwell Museum — 102 E. Main St Admission info 704-279-4979.
• NC Music Hall of Fame — Honors musicians from North Carolina, 109 West A St, Kannapolis. Admission info 704-934-2320. www.NorthCarolinaMusic HallofFame.org
• NC Transportation Museum — 411 S. Salisbury Ave., Spencer. Train ride schedule and admission info 704-636-2889, www.nctrans.org
• Old Stone House, Granite Quarry — 1766 Georgian stone house. Old Stone House Road. Admission info 704-633-5946, www.rowanmuseum.org
• Price of Freedom Museum — Sundays 3-5 p.m. and by appointment. American war memorial dedicated to men and women of the armed services. Weaver and Patterson Roads. 704-857-7474, www.priceoffreedom.us
• Rowan Museum — 202 N. Main St 1-4 p.m. Friday-Sunday, 704-633-5946 or www.rowanmuseum.org
• NC Museum of Dolls, Toys & Miniatures — 108 Fourth St, Spencer, Near NC Transportation Museum. 704-762-9359, www.NCMDTM.com
• Utzman- Chambers House — Artifacts of the late Honorable Spruce Macay, best known for instructing president Andrew Jackson. 116 S. Jackson St Admission info 704-633-5946, www.rowanmuseum.org
• 1820 Dr. Josephus Hall House — 226 S. Jackson St Open for tours March -Dec. or by appointment at 704-636-0103 or see http://historicsalisbury.org
Salisbury Business Center — “Now + There – The Art and Collective Thought of the Carolina Artists.” Free, open to the public during business hours. 301 S. Main St., www. salisburybusinesscenter.com
Waterworks Visual Arts Center: The Threads of Time — Through Feb 2. Monday-Friday, 10 am-5 pm and Saturday, 10 am-2 pm. Free admission. 123 E. Liberty St, waterworks.org