Concord businessman killed in two-vehicle head-on collision
By Shavonne Walker
CABARRUS COUNTY — A Concord businessman was killed early Sunday morning during a two-vehicle head-on collision. He was not believed to have been wearing a seat belt, N.C. Highway Patrol officials said.
David Alexander “Pete” Walter, 71, of Kannapolis (Cabarrus County), was traveling in his 1998 Chrysler van on N.C. 73 when he was struck head-on by a Toyota Corolla driven by Agyei Jabari Baruti, 20, of Kannapolis (Rowan County).
Baruti crossed the center line and collided with Walter’s vehicle. Trooper Joshua Jackson said he didn’t believe that Baruti was impaired, but blood was drawn from him to be sure, which is routine. Baruti, who was wearing a seatbelt, did have some broken bones.
Walter, owner of David Walter Travel Agency in Concord, died at the scene. The trooper said he was not ejected from the vehicle, but they don’t believe he was wearing a seatbelt.
Baruti was charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle and crossing the center line.
In addition to the N.C. Highway Patrol, who responded the Cabarrus Sheriff’s Office, the Odell Fire and Concord Fire departments also responded.
According to an obituary, a memorial service for David Walter will be held at a later date.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
SALISBURY — A Salisbury man, who previously attempted to swallow drugs in an effort to hide them, was convicted this... read more