Cancellations and postponements
Published 10:40 am Wednesday, September 12, 2018
Submit Delays or Closings
Due to Hurricane Florence the following events have been cancelled or postponed:
• 2018 Walk to End Alzheimer’s – Rowan Cabarrus, has been postponed to Saturday, Sept. 22. The event was originally scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 15. The event will be 9 a.m.-noon at the N.C. Research Campus, 150 Research Campus Drive, Kannapolis
• Germanfest at the Old Stone House has been rescheduled for Oct 27. The event was originally scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 15. www.rowanmuseum.org
• Bass Pro Clifton Bradley Sept, 14 event, scheduled at the Saleeby-Fisher YMCA, Rockwell, has been postponed until Friday, Sept. 28, 4-7 p.m. 704-279-1742.
• Church of the Nazarene giveaway event on Saturday has been postponed to Saturday, Sept. 22, 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., at at 224 West 12th St.
• “Better Together” Women’s Conference with Karen Elvington set for Saturday at First Baptist Church, has been postponed until May 4, 2019. Info at 704-637-3407 or www.wmurowan.com
• All Friday events at South Main Book Co. have been canceled. Several authors were scheduled to sign books. The store will maintain regular hours.
• Brown-Fisher Association reunion scheduled for Saturday, has been postponed until Oct. 27, in conjunction with Germanfest at the Michael Braun House beginning at 10 a.m.
• Downtown Salisbury Brewbury Fest and Crawl scheduled for this Friday and Saturday, has been canceled. There is no plan to reschedule the Brewbury Fest at this time. Full refunds will be issued to participants who bought tickets in advance. More information on refunds will be provided later this week.
• United Way’s Friday’s kick-off has been canceled. It will not be rescheduled; the first report meeting will be Sept. 26, noon at Ben Mynatt Nissan.
• Cabarrus County Fair: The fair is ending three days early in preparation for the impact of Hurricane Florence. Today is the fair’s last day, with gates open 4-10 p.m. (more information)
• Therapeutic Recreation’s Club Rec activities canceled for Friday.
• Cabarrus recreation: All Cabarrus County Active Living & Parks youth soccer and football practices and games at all locations are canceled Thursday through Sunday.
• Cabarrus seniors: Activities at the Cabarrus County senior centers in Concord and Mt. Pleasant, including the Friday Night Dance, are canceled.
• Salisbury Citizen’s Academy is postponed from Sept. 13 to Sept. 20. The Public Services and Transit session will be next Thursday and the Planning/DSI session will be moved to Nov. 1.
• Historical Preservation Commission scheduled meeting for Sept. 13 is cancelled.
• The monthly meeting of Salisbury Parks and Recreation Advisory Board scheduled for Sept. 13 is cancelled.
• Cedar Grove AME Zion Church, no Wednesday night Bible study.
• Rowan Wild will be closed today through Friday due to potential threat from Hurricane Florence. Please check back for updates and information regarding the upcoming weekend.
• Tiger World will be closing in preparations for the Storm starting Tuesday, Sept. 11. The safety of our animals, employees, and guests is our main priority. As with any major weather threat, all animals are safe and secure in their dens. We will be closed until the storm has passed.
High School Football moved to Wednesday, September 12 (see SPORTS for more information)
- East Rowan plays at Mount Pleasant at 6:30 p.m.
- Salisbury hosts West Davidson at 7 p.m.
- South Rowan goes to Ledford at 7 p.m.
- West Rowan visits A.L. Brown at 7 p.m.
- Carson plays at Davie County at 7:30 p.m.
• Catawba College’s football game Saturday against visiting University of North Carolina at Pembroke has been canceled. (more information)
• Rowan-Salisbury Schools: All after-school activities are cancelled for Thursday & Friday. School is closed for students and staff for Friday. (more information)
• Livingstone College issued an optional evacuation order for students effective at 5 p.m. Tuesday. The school will be closed to students, faculty and staff through Saturday. Class assignments will be posted on Blackboard for students, and essential college personnel were told to report to work.
• Hood Theological Seminary In the case of a hurricane, students were advised to shelter in the kitchen and storage area of Aymer Center. Closets, restrooms and hallways without glass in buildings 200 and 300 are also deemed safe places to shelter. Students should seek shelter only when a hurricane warning has been issued by campus security.
• Catawba College classes canceled Thursday and Friday (more information)
Amtrak passenger train service traveling in and through North Carolina will be modified starting on Wednesday morning, in anticipation of impacts from Hurricane Florence. (more information)
• As a precaution, Meals on Wheels Rowan will not deliver meals on Friday, September 14th. We will provide participants with an extra meal that will be delivered with the regular meal on Thursday. This will be a cold meal, not the regular menu listed for Friday and we will not be able to make substitutions for this meal. If you have any questions, please call us at 704-633-0352 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.