Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. The newly forming holiday parade in Spencer and Salisbury won’t be called Holiday Caravan. What will be the new name this year?
A. Rowan County Extravaganza
B. Magnificent Main Street Parade
C. Rowan Ramble
D. ‘Tis the Season Spectacular
2. The 2018-19 Rowan-Salisbury Schools Teacher of the Year, Zachary Overcash, teaches what subject at Carson High School?
D. Home economics
3. Novant Health has raised the minimum wage at all the company’s N.C. facilities, including Novant Health Rowan Medical Center. What is the new minimum wage?
A. $8.50 an hour
B. $9.50 an hour
C. $12.50 an hour
D. $14.75 an hour
4. A local group of veterans and their guardians were part of an all-expenses-paid trip to the National World War II Museum. Where is that museum?
A. Washington, D.C.
B. San Diego
D. New Orleans
5. Lt. Gov. Dan Forest was in Salisbury this past Monday to attend a ribbon-cutting, opening the headquarters for what organization?
A. Rowan County Veterans Honor Guard
B. Rowan County United Way
C. N.C. Farm Bureau
D. N.C. Employment Security Commission
6. The recent vandalism of the 1909 Confederate memorial at West Innes and Church streets has brought renewed discussions about whether it should be relocated or how it should be protected or changed. Who owns the statue?
A. St. John’s Lutheran Church
B. United Daughters of the Confederacy
C. Sons of the Confederacy
D. The city of Salisbury
7. The Essie Mae Kiser-Foxx Charter School opened for its first day of classes this past week with 150 students. What grades does the school cover?
A. Kindergarten through fourth grade
B. Preschool through third grade
C. Third through fifth grades
D. Kindergarten through eighth grade
8. The South Salisbury Fire Department is adding equipment to an engine and a squad vehicle while firefighters also receive training for it. What’s the new equipment?
A. Oxygen masks for pets
B. Jaws for Life
C. Infrared goggles
D. Smoke Busters
9. Salisbury native O’Bryan Neely will be shown competing Wednesday as a contestant on what game show that airs on GSN (Game Show Network)?
A. “Cash Cab”
B. “Caroline & Friends”
D. “America Says”
10. A team-building exercise for teachers at Koontz Elementary School ended up providing what for some students?
A. New backpacks
B. New lunchboxes
C. New bicycles
D. New sneakers
SALISBURY — It’s not often firefighters or a department’s medical responders find themselves giving oxygen to dogs and cats. But... read more