Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:00 am Sunday, June 24, 2018
1. Which of these is not true about the 2018-19 budget passed this past week by Salisbury City Council?
A. The property tax rate for Salisbury residents will increase by a penny per $100 valuation
B. The budget gives city employees a merit pay increase of 3.5 percent
C. The Fire Department will be getting a new $850,000 truck
D. Water and sewer rates are going up
2. A television show’s episode tonight has a connection to Kannapolis’ downtown revitalization project. What is the name of the show airing at 9 p.m.?
A. “House Hunters”
B. “Salvage Dawgs”
C. “Flip or Flop”
D. “Fixer Upper”
3. Rufty-Homes Senior Center held a sunrise-to-sunset party Thursday to celebrate what?
A. The senior center’s 30th anniversary
B. Congress’ raising of the minimum wage for seniors who are still working
C. The opening of an outside swimming pool at the center
D. The longest day of the year, combined with raising money and awareness for Alzheimer’s caregivers.
4. Salisbury High graduate Keion Adams will be trying to stick with the Pittsburgh Steelers this fall as an outside linebacker. But on Saturday, Adams participated in commencement exercises as he graduated from what university?
A. Ball State
B. Colorado State
C. Western Michigan
5. Adams’ more established Steelers teammate, North Rowan High graduate Javon Hargrave, made a guest appearance at a local establishment this past Tuesday, posing for pictures and signing autographs for 45 minutes. At which Salisbury business did Hargrave appear?
B. City Tavern
C. Cook Out
6. Students participated this past week in a special kind of nature camp — the H.E.R.P. Project Camp — at Dan Nicholas Park. What did the “H” in this Education in Rural Places camp stand for?
7. According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the W.G. (Bill) Hefner VA Medical Center in Salisbury is one of 11 VAs in the country with this rating when it comes to its nursing home care, or community living center. What is the CLC rating for the Salisbury VA?
A. One star
B. Two stars
C. Four stars
D. Five stars
8. Rowan Helping Ministries dedicated its new Shari and Bill Graham House this past week. What is it?
A. A refuge for battered women
B. A halfway house for recovering alcoholics
C. A rental house for families or several people at once who are in transition and need some of the support services RHM offers
D. A house that will be offered for free — on a yearly rotating basis — to full-time RHM staff members
9. The N.C. General Assembly has passed a bill that would allow Rowan-Salisbury Schools to serve as a pilot program in adopting charter-like flexibility for the school district. The RSS Board of Education has yet to commit to this concept, which is called what?
A. An Umbrella School System
B. A New World School System
C. A Collective Campus School System
D. A Renewal School System
10. Former Catawba College football coach Chip Hester will head the new football team at this college when the program returns to the gridiron in 2020. What school is it?