Grace Lutheran Church awards scholarships
Published 12:00 am Thursday, June 7, 2018
Grace Lutheran Church recently awarded scholarships to the following students:
• Lindsay Elmore, a senior at Carson High School, has participated in church youth community service activities. She is a National Honor Society member, Carson varsity volleyball member and team captain, and a member of the Orange and Blue Crew, Tri M music honors and the leadership team. She will attend Queens University to study accounting and psychology. She is the daughter of Gary and Greta Elmore.
• Rebekah Lippard, a senior at Carson High School, has been president of her church youth group and a participant in community service activities and church functions. She is president of Crosby Scholars, leader of the Orange and Blue Crew, and a member of the student council and National Honors Society. She will attend N. C. State University in the Poole College of Management majoring in accounting. She is the daughter of Lynn and Angela Lippard.
• Maren Shumaker, a senior at Carson High School, has been active in her church youth group and participated in youth community service activities and church functions. She is a member of the National Honors Society, National Technical Honor Society, Crosby Scholars, student council, and leadership team. She is the Orange and Blue Crew secretary and a Special Olympics volunteer. She was co-captain of the varsity basketball team and played varsity soccer. She will attend Appalachian State University majoring in exercise science with plans to earn a doctorate in physical therapy.
• Audra Benson is a senior at Clemson University. She is a psychology major with a minor in rehabilitation therapy. She participated in church youth group community service activities and church functions. She worked with special-needs students who attend Clemson and volunteered in the Night to Shine prom and Relay for Life. She is on the executive board for Clemson Life as the teacher assistant coordinator. Aside from physical therapy, Audra hopes to earn a master’s in special education. She is the daughter of Bonnie and Scotty Benson.
• Lauren Bernhardt is a sophomore at N.C. State University seeking a degree in animal sciences and hopes to become a veterinarian. Lauren has participated in the church youth group, volunteering on church committees and community service activities. She participated in the Animal Science Club and participated in events at the N.C. State Fair in 2017. She is the daughter of Robin Bernhardt.
• Aaron Lippard is a senior at N.C. State University majoring in mechanical engineering. Aaron has been active in church youth community service activities and employed at engineering companies in the summers. During 2018, he will be in the internship at Caterpillar Inc. in Clayton in the building and construction products division. Aaron is the son of Lynn and Angela Lippard.
• Alex Shumaker graduated from Jesse C. Carson High School in 2016. He will attend Rockingham Community College this year. Alex participated in youth community service activities and volunteered at church functions. Alex will major in physical education and is looking forward to playing baseball and becoming a coach. He is the son of Todd and Jackie Shumaker.
• Paige Hartsell is a May graduate of University of North Carolina and received a bachelor of arts in biology with minors in chemistry and medical anthropology. She volunteered in many community service activities both at church and college. Paige was accepted by the Teach for America Institute and will teach science in a high-needs high school while earning an education degree and teacher certification. She is the daughter of Dennis and Lori Hartsell.