Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. The Rowan County Fairgrounds has been home for much of the past week for a group of well-known performers? Who?
A. Barnum & Bailey Circus
B. Budweiser Clydesdales
C. Cirque du Soleil Charlotte
D. Cast members of “Hamilton” who are performing in Charlotte
2. How did Timothy C. Smith, an inmate charged with murder, escape April 14 from the Rowan County Detention Center?
A. He drugged a guard’s soft drink and grabbed his keys
B. He walked out unnoticed during visitor hours
C. He kicked out a jail cell window on the third floor and lowered himself down with the help of bedsheets
D. He knocked down two guards, grabbed one of their guns, used a visitor as hostage and fled through a side emergency door
3. The Rowan County Board of Commissioners has approved the placement of a 6.5-foot granite, marble and bronze memorial for law enforcement. Where will it be located?
A. On the Square in downtown Salisbury next to Spanky’s
B. At Dan Nicholas Park, near the entrance
C. Next to the steps of the Rowan County Courthouse
D. In front of the county administration building at 130 W. Innes St.
4. Many Rowan Countians have fond memories of former first lady Barbara Bush, who died this past Tuesday at age 92. What Rowan County event did President George H.W. Bush and his wife attend in 1992?
A. Food Lion’s 50th anniversary celebration
B. Cheerwine’s 75th birthday celebration
C. The 90th birthday party for Mary Hanford, mother of Salisbury native Elizabeth Hanford Dole
D. The Faith Fourth
5. Cassie Ellis, one of two skydivers who was rescued from a tree near Cedar Springs Road after their primary and backup parachutes malfunctioned, had made the trip to Rowan County from what other state?
A. South Carolina
B. West Virginia
6. WalletHub compared more than 1,200 cities with populations between 25,000 and 100,000 and rated them according to business environment, access to resources and business costs. Where did Salisbury place in the WalletHub rankings?
7. If Hotwire successfully leases Fibrant, Salisbury’s fiber broadband utility, it does not intend to use the Fibrant name. What name would the utility use?
8. East Rowan High School won its fourth straight Rowan County title Wednesday in what sport?
A. Boys tennis
B. Girls soccer
C. Girls track and field
D. Boys golf
9. Which of the following things is the Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Rowan County not known for selling?
A. High-end furniture
B. Light bulbs
D. Funnel cake
10. Doug Black, a longtime volunteer for Historic Salisbury Foundation, has been especially known for leading teams of men and women who stabilize properties before they are put back on the market for owner-driven restorations. What’s the name given to Black’s group of volunteers?
A. Black’s Brigade
B. Black’s Beauties
C. Black’s Brawlers
D. Black’s Beer Drinkers
SALISBURY — The eighth annual Cruise ‘n’ Barbecue, which benefits Helping Hands Ministry of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, will be... read more