Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. At the Rowan County Chamber of Commerce’s annual ala Thursday night, Comfort Suites front desk manager James Rogers won first place in the Rowan Originals awards. With that award came a check for how much money?
2. Also at the chamber event Thursday, Tim Norris, 2017 chairman of the chamber’s board of directors, passed the gavel to a new chairman for 2018. Who is the new chamber chairman?
A. Melanie Denton of Salisbury Eyecare and Eyewear
B. Bill Johnson of Trinity Oaks
C. Janet Spriggs of Rowan-Cabarrus Community College
D. Nancy Wyrick of F&M Bank
3. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security announced this past Monday it was eliminating Temporary Protected Status for Salvadoran immigrants. Liliana Spears, co-chairwoman of the Salisbury Human Relations Council, said about 3,000 immigrants from El Salvador could be affected in Rowan County. Which of these towns did Spears say has one of the larger concentrations of Salvadoran immigrants in Rowan?
B. China Grove
D. East Spencer
4. A fire early Wednesday morning destroyed something JROTC students at South Rowan High School had depended on as part of their program for more than 25 years. What was it?
A. A rappelling tower
B. A signature JROTC flag designed for South Rowan High in 1992
C. The original JROTC charter, which was stored in an outbuilding where the fire occurred
D. A rope bridge that was part of the JROTC obstacle course
5. A major statewide exhibit is making a stop at the N.C. Transportation Museum in Spencer from Jan. 17 through Feb. 27. What’s the focus of this exhibit?
A. The first airplane of Wilbur and Orville Wright
B. The flagship of Blackbeard the pirate
C. Reproductions of the first ships to land in North Carolina during the colonizing of America
D. The “Big Five” steam engines Southern Railway relied on for early passenger train service
6. Seven foreign exchange students from Invertis University spent the fall semester studying at Livingstone College. In what county is Invertis University located?
A. New Guinea
C. South Africa
7. Today marks the 41st year a Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Humanitarian Awards program will be held in Salisbury. What church has been host for that program from the beginning?
A. Soldiers Memorial AME Zion
B. First Calvary Baptist
C. Mount Zion Missionary Baptist
D. Moore’s Chapel AME Zion
8. As part of its federal relicensing agreement in 2007, Alcoa — and now its successor, Cube Hydro — was given a 10-year timeframe to fund a public access to High Rock Lake on the Rowan County side. Where is this public access to the lake proposed?
A. Off Clark Road
B. Off Price Road
C. Off Calvert Road
D. Off Leonard Road
9. High Rock Lake is the second largest in North Carolina. What’s the largest?
A. Lake Jordan
B. Badin Lake
C. Lake Norman
D. Lake Tillery
10. The first-degree murder trial of Marlene Johnson, accused of killing Shirley Pierce, is underway in Rowan County Superior Court. How long has Johnson been in jail awaiting trial?
A. Since 2008
B. Since 2013
C. Since 2016
D. Four months
Staff report Early Saturday morning, the Kannapolis Police Department’s Vice Narcotics Unit executed “Operation Gray Death Nightmare,” leading to the... read more