Fire officials: early Friday morning Poole Road house fire accidental
SALISBURY — A fire that broke out before 5 a.m. Friday was accidental and started behind the wall of a chimney, fire officials said.
The fire occurred at 2535 Poole Road in eastern Rowan County at a rental home. The tenant said she saw a puff of smoke come through the walls behind the chimney, Fire Investigator Mark Troublefield said.
He said when the family went to get a fire extinguisher, flames began coming through the wall. The family, which included two adults and two children, evacuated the home.
Investigators believe that sparks from the chimney may have caught the wall on fire.
No injuries were reported.
Fire officials had to contact N.C. Department of Transportation personnel to put sand on the road after single-digit temperatures froze the water that firefighters sprayed to fight the fire.
The temperature at the time of the fire was about 8 degrees.
The Red Cross is assisting the family.