Arc Rowan announces 2017 Festival of Trees winners
SALISBURY — For the more than 2,000 people who attended the Arc of Rowan’s Festival of Trees this year, a winter wonderland awaited them.
“After all the trees were decorated and the lights dimmed, it was absolutely breath-taking,” according to an Arc of Rowan news release. “This is certainly something you have to see to believe.”
The release said many volunteers helped make the festival successful.
“The Arc of Rowan board of directors, the staff and the Festival of Trees committee cannot thank you enough for everything that was done to make this happen,” the release said.
The People’s Choice Awards for the 2017 Festival of Trees are as follows:
• First place was decorated by the SOAR Program from Rowan-Cabarrus Community College and was sponsored by Signature Weight Loss and Wellness. The theme was “SOARING to New Heights.”
• Second place was decorated and sponsored by Salisbury Pediatric Associates. The theme was “Minnie Mouse.”
• Third place was decorated by Piedmont Players and sponsored by Wells Fargo. The theme was “A Charlie Brown Christmas.”
• Fourth place was decorated by Machelle Frick and Kim Hardiman and was sponsored by Joe Stirewalt. The theme was “Elf on a Shelf.”
Other categories and winners included:
• Best Traditional Tree: The winning decorators were William Lambert and John Leonard, along with Revonda Nance and Linda Brown. The tree was sponsored by Wells Fargo.
• Best Nontraditional Tree: Decorated by Clyde. The tree was sponsored by Blanton Law Firm.
• Best Children’s Themed Tree: Decorated by Piedmont Players. The tree was sponsored by Wells Fargo.
• Tree That Represents the Spirit of Giving: Decorated by the Old Navy at Innes Street Market. The tree was sponsored by Elements Counseling Services.
• Best Handmade Ornaments Tree: Decorated by Machelle Frick and Kim Hardiman. The tree was sponsored by Joe Stirewalt.
• Best Intellectual/Developmental Disability Awareness Tree: Decorated by Mitzi Rusher. The tree was sponsored by ECSS.
• Most Meaningful Tree: Decorated by Rowan Hospice and Palliative Care, which was the sponsor.
The 2018 Festival of Trees is already being planned. It will be held the first weekend in December and will include new ideas.
Anyone interested in being a sponsor, decorator or volunteer should contact the Arc of Rowan office at 704-637-1521.
The Arc of Rowan is a Rowan County United Way agency.
By Susan Shinn Turner For the Salisbury Post SALISBURY — Dr. Amy Wilson is only 5 feet tall, but she’s... read more