• 46°

Rep. Hudson’s 2017 fundraising total better than other non-election years

Fund-raiser

U.S. Rep. Richard Hudson

SALISBURY — U.S. Rep. Richard Hudson’s campaign said Monday that it has raised more money in 2017 than in any previous non-election year.

Hudson, R-8, had raised $826,000 by the end of the third quarter of 2017 — July through September.

Hudson’s campaign said it has also received more individual donations from North Carolinians than in the first three quarters of any prior year.

“I am extremely grateful for the continued and growing support of my fellow North Carolinians,” Hudson said. “Our record-breaking fundraising shows they believe in the work we are doing to fight for common-sense solutions and conservative values.”

After expenses, Hudson’s campaign had $556,347 in cash on hand at the end of the third quarter, according to finance reports submitted Friday. In the third quarter, his campaign raised $172,811 and had net operating expenditures of $113,382.

For the quarter, 66 percent of the money raised by Hudson’s campaign, $117,000, came from political action committees. The remaining 34 percent came from individuals.

Local contributors to Hudson’s campaign included Terry Osborne of Salisbury, who gave $250; Thomas Ford of Salisbury, who gave a total of $105; Tony Almeida of Salisbury, $250; Timothy Vaughn of Kannapolis, $500; Evander Rowell of Kannapolis, $250; and Frederick Hilbish of Kannapolis, $1,000.

PACs that gave the maximum contribution — $5,000 — to Hudson’s campaign in the third quarter include the American Association of Orthodondists PAC; Comcast Corp. and NBC Universal PAC; National Cable and Telecommunications Association PAC;  and Charter Communications PAC.

The Hudson campaign’s total operating expenditures were $114,984 in the third quarter.

The largest portion of that total went to Republic Strategies LLC, a political consulting firm in Alexandria, Virginia. On Aug. 22, Hudson’s campaign paid $20,275 to the consulting firm. On Sept. 5, the campaign paid another $20,657 to the consulting firm. The stated purpose on federal campaign finance forms is “fundraising consulting.”

Hudson’s third-quarter cash-on-hand total — $556,347 — puts him fifth among North Carolina’s 13 congressional representatives.

Contact Josh Bergeron at 704-797-4246.

Comments

Local

Board of elections discusses upgrading voting machines, making precinct changes

News

Lawmakers finalize how state will spend COVID-19 funds

Local

Salisbury Station one of several ‘hot spots’ included in NCDOT rail safety study

Education

Essie Mae Kiser Foxx appeal denied, school considering options

News

Iredell County votes to move Confederate memorial to cemetery

Nation/World

Lara Trump may have eyes on running for a Senate seat

Local

Rowan among counties in Biden’s disaster declaration from November floods

Local

PETA plans protest at Salisbury Police Department on Friday

BREAKING NEWS

Essie Mae Kiser Foxx appeal denied, charter revoked

Coronavirus

29 new positives, no new COVID-19 deaths reported

Crime

Blotter: Woman charged with drug crimes

News

Nesting no more: Eagles appear to have moved on from Duke’s Buck Station

Business

The Smoke Pit leaving downtown Salisbury for standalone building on Faith Road

Education

Shoutouts

High School

High school football: Hornets’ Gaither set the tone against West

Local

Salisbury to show off new fire station

Education

Livingstone College to host virtual Big Read events this month

Local

City makes some appointments to local boards, holds off on others to seek women, appointees of color

Education

Education briefs: RCCC instructor honored by Occupational Therapy Association

Local

Second quarter financial update shows promising outlook for city’s budget

Columnists

Genia Woods: Let’s talk about good news in Salisbury

Local

City attorney will gather more information for Salisbury nondiscrimination ordinance

Education

North Hills planning to hold May fundraiser in person

East Spencer

Developers aim to transform former Dunbar School site into multi-purpose community development