Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. A group of students and residents from Salisbury at large gathered on the Catawba College campus for a rally Thursday. What was the rally about?
A. Catawba’s homecoming football game Saturday
B. Support for relocating Salisbury’s Confederate monument
C. Organizing relief efforts for hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico
D. Opposition to President Trump’s elimination of the federal Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.
2. Something happened in Salisbury Thursday that hadn’t happened in almost three years. What was it?
A. A tornado (funnel cloud) sighting off Jake Alexander Boulevard
B. A double homicide
C. A day without any emergency service calls
D. A bank robbery
3. Livingstone College honored John McLaughlin and Ollie Mae Carroll as part of its annual West End Classic — the football home opener Saturday against Virginia State University. What kind of business was McLaughlin associated with for decades?
A. A grocery store
B. A funeral home
C. A taxi company
D, A barber shop
4. What is the name of the group which has sent a letter to Salisbury City Council asking it to relocate the Confederate monument standing at West Innes and Church streets?
A. Salisbury Indivisible
B. Salisbury Invisible
C. Salisbury Indestructible
D. Salisbury Inevitable
5. A Capital Needs Committee of Rowan-Salisbury Schools has been having conversations with the community about how to address some $208 million in needed repairs, maintenance and modernization of buildings. The committee reports that what percentage of Rowan-Salisbury Schools are more than 50 years old?
A. 20 percent
B. 40 percent
C. 60 percent
D. 80 percent
6. On Thursday, South Rowan High’s Madison Lowery won the girls’ Rowan County championship in what sport or event?
C. Cross country
D. The mile run
7. In connection with the lawsuit saying their prayer practices at meetings were unconstitutional, Rowan County commissioners voted 5-0 this past Monday to do what?
A. Drop any attempts at further appeal
B. Appeal a 4th Circuit Court decision against them to the U.S. Supreme Court
C. Take the case out of federal court and look for a ruling more to their liking from the N.C. Supreme Court
D. Try again with a full panel of the 4th Circuit Court
8. A sizable crowd attended Darrell Harwood’s Stand Together Music Festival last week in China Grove. The event raised funds for what cause?
A. ALS research
B. The Muscular Dystrophy Association
C. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
D. The Arc of Rowan
9. Remains of Capt. Lamar Russell were buried in the Gold Hill Cemetery last Sunday. Russell fought in what war?
C. World War II
D. Civil War
10. Pray Rowan has planned a big public gathering from 10 to 11 a.m. Saturday at what location in Salisbury?
A. The steps of the Rowan County Courthouse
B. The Bell Tower in Salisbury
C. First Baptist Church
D. City Park
By Mark Wineka email@example.com SALISBURY — Salisbury Police have arrested a man for stealing two Casino cash registers, two debit... read more