Waterworks issues call for artists; subject, Hurley Park
Waterworks Visual Arts Center, in partnership with the Hurley Park Foundation, will present a special juried group exhibition in celebration of the park’s pearl (30th) anniversary, The Seasons of Hurley Park: 30 Years.
Artists from across North Carolina are invited to apply. There is no fee to enter. Deadline for entries is Oct. 20.
Here are some particulars:
Exhibition venue: Waterworks Visual Arts Center, 123 E. Liberty Street, Salisbury.
Exhibition dates: Feb. 10-May 19, 2018.
Opening reception: Friday, Feb. 16, 2018, 6-8 p.m.
Work medium: all 2- and 3-D media accepted, including audio and video installation and sculpture.
Eligibility: Participants must be at least 18 years old. Work must be inspired by Hurley Park in Salisbury. Possible topics include the park’s rich history, ecology, natural beauty and/or a memory or personal connection to the park.
Requirements: All work must be original and created by the submitting artist. No copies, mechanical reproductions, molds or kit work will be accepted. Entries must be able to fit through the gallery doorway (85′′ x 71′′) and weigh no more than 150 pounds. Waterworks Visual Arts Center reserves the right to exclude work due to size or special requirements.
• Each artist may enter up to three works for consideration.
• Entries may be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail on CD/DVD (non-returnable) to: Waterworks Visual Arts Center 123 E. Liberty St., Salisbury NC 28144. Attn: Hurley Park Exhibition.
• All entries must include the following information:
(1) Artist’s statement illustrating how your work connects to the theme. Up-to-date personal biographical résumé /CV, artist’s name, title, medium, size and date listed on each image file and/or audio and video file.
(2) Still images must be sent in high-resolution jpeg format (600 dpi/800 KB-2 MB). 1 image each 2-D work (do not include frame); 2 images each 3-D work (one full shot and one detail).
(3) Audio should be submitted as separate MP3 files. Each track should be no longer than 2 minutes. Please note: Artists with accepted video pieces will be required to supply necessary display equipment.
(4) Video samples must be edited to no longer than 2-minute excerpts. It is strongly preferred that video and audio artists submit their work online through clips or URL addresses to online sharing formats like YouTube or Dropbox. Videos submitted as uploaded files should be submitted as QuickTime files whose width is no larger than 720px and file size is no larger than 10MB.
A registration entry form must be completed on or before Oct. 20.
Up to three entries may be submitted for consideration. A panel of jurors will review all entries and select works for inclusion in the show. Up to five individuals will serve on the panel. Members of the panel will include a representative from the host organization, the park foundation board, professional artist community and the community at large.
Artists will be notified of acceptance into the show via email by Nov. 20, 2017. Please do not contact the museum to inquire about your submission.
For information on the preparation of works and other questions, contact Waterworks Visual Arts Center.