Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. A former bank building at West Innes and South Church streets was demolished this week. It represents a start to the development of a park in this downtown Salisbury block. In what year was this original home of a First Union bank built?
2. Last year, Communities in Schools worked with 3,415 students in seven Rowan-Salisbury Schools, and this year the program is adding two more schools. What does Communities in Schools, a United Way agency, focus on?
A. Encouraging students to be volunteers
B. Dropout prevention
C. Drug education
D. Matching students with employers in the community
3. Rockwell is the first municipality to vote on and approve provisions set out in legislation referred to as the “Brunch Bill.” What does the Brunch Bill allow?
A. The sale of alcohol beginning at 10 a.m. Sundays, instead of noon.
B. The sale of guns on Sunday, beginning at 10 a.m.
C. The sale of guns on any day, starting at 10 a.m.
D. It allows restaurants to have a happy hour from 10 a.m.-noon so they can sell specially priced alcoholic drinks.
4. Playing on national television two nights in a row, the Rowan Little League 12U girls softball team finished as national runner-up in the World Series played in Portland, Ore. A team from what state beat the Rowan team in the championship game?
5. Recent events have focused attention on Confederate monuments across the country, including the one in Salisbury, which is the bronze grouping of Fame with a dying soldier. When was Salisbury’s Confederate monument erected?
6. Republicans from three counties has chosen whom to fill the vacant seat of former state Sen. Andrew Brock, who has taken a position with the State Board of Review?
A. Bill Graham
B. Chad Mitchell
C. Dan Barrett
D. Terry Osborne
7. Kannapolis City Council is working on a $1.9 million tax incentive package to lure a distribution warehouse that would provide 600 jobs. The million-square-foot warehouse would be for what company?
B. Whole Foods
8. Melissa Eller recently found among her late father’s possessions an 1856 medical diary from Dr. Summerell of Salisbury. Summerell was the father of author Hope Summerell Chamberlain and the son-in-law of what other notable North Carolinian?
A. President James K. Polk, the 11th president of the United States
B. President Andrew Jackson, seventh president of the United States
C. Author William Sydney Porter, who went by the pen name of O. Henry
D. Dr. Elisha Mitchell, for whom Mount Mitchell is named
9. On a recent Saturday, Father & Son Produce had customers take a taste test and vote on their favorite what?
A. Pimento cheese
B. Tomato sandwich
C. Chicken salad
D. Deviled eggs
10. What is the new name of the Rowan County Airport?
A. Greater Salisbury Regional Airport
B. Mid-Carolina Regional Airport
C. Piedmont Regional Airport
D. Rowan-Davie Regional Airport
SALISBURY — U.S. Rep. Richard Hudson, R-N.C., left the Hefner VA Medical Center in Salisbury on Thursday encouraged that the... read more