Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. A proposal by a Statesville-based ministry focused on helping kids seeks to lease Miller Recreation Center and Hall Gym, but its expansion into Salisbury has met resistance from residents of the West End. What is the name of the ministry in question?
A. Jesus Warriors
B. Christ’s Children
C. The Apostles
D. Power Cross
2. An accident this past Tuesday at Jake Alexander Boulevard and Faith Road claimed the life of Bobby Gene Hooks. A day after his death, Hooks was remembered fondly as a regular patron of what local store?
A. Village Grocery
B. A&L Mini Mart
D. Gas, Gobble & Go
3. Schneider Electric, which has a plant at 105 Summit Park Drive, announced this past week plans to close its operation here by mid 2018 and move that production to facilities in what two states?
A. Alabama and Mississippi
B. Arkansas and Tennessee
C. South Carolina and Pennsylvania
D. Oregon and Washington
4. What was scheduled to happen Saturday night as a way of promoting the Music at the Mural summer concert series on West Fisher Street?
A. The concert was held on the rooftop of Go Burrito!
B. Concert-goers were encouraged to wear costumes matching the turn-of-the-century people depicted in the mural
C. A drawing was held, and the winner’s likeness will be added to the mural at a later date
D. A golf cart caravan was organized to travel through town on its way to and from the concert
5. Rowan County Animal Services now plans to sell at auction 17 animals it rescued from a farm last year. What will be the county be auctioning off?
6. This past week, Tar Heel Boys State was held at Catawba College. The Boys State experience gives high school participants exercises related to government, politics and leadership. What entity has sponsored Boys State for more than 40 years?
A. The American Legion
B. The N.C. League of Municipalities
C. The John Hood Foundation
D. The Duke Endowment
7. Village Park in Kannapolis recently opened a new attraction. What is it?
A. A Ferris Wheel
B. A carousel
C. A puppet show
D. Flying swings
8. Vickey Cline recently won the Tall Tale Tellers Festival held in which one of these Rowan County communities?
C. Gold Hill
D. Poole Town
9. In August, this onetime Salisbury High tennis player will be inducted into the Rowan County Sports Hall of Fame.
A. Susan Saunders
B. Elaine Weant Canup
C. Carolyn Murray
D. Julianne Treme
10. Edgar Maddison Welch of Salisbury, who gained national notoriety as the “Pizzagate gunman in Washington, D.C., after he was duped by an internet conspiracy theory, was sentenced this past week to how many years in prison?
A. None, he was transferred instead to a mental health facility
By Mark Wineka email@example.com SALISBURY — Salisbury might seem like a beach community Saturday evening when a caravan of golf carts... read more