Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Principals at Rowan-Salisbury high schools are amending the class ranking policy for students, starting with the incoming freshman class. The changes could do away with what?
A. The Salisbury Post All-County Scholars
B. The designations of valedictorian and salutatorian
C. Junior marshals
D. The Honor Society
2. A pair of former University of North Carolina basketball greats spoke at Carson High School as part of the nonprofit group Game Plan for Life. Who were they?
A. Phil Ford and Al Wood
B. James Worthy and Mitch Kupchak
C. Tyler Hansbrough and Jeff Lebo
D. Sean May and Ty Lawson
3. What school won its third straight Rowan County golf championship this past week?
A. South Rowan High
B. Carson High
C. Salisbury High
D. East Rowan High
4. Brothers Lee and Jim Deal, 99 and 94, respectively, attended a Veterans Appreciation Day lunch in Rockwell last Tuesday. The Deals are veterans of what war?
A. World War I
B. World War II
5. A scam artist has been calling Rowan County residents and posing as an employee of the Sheriff’s Office. What ruse has the scam artist been using?
A. He tells people he has been deputized by the county tax office to collect unpaid tax liens
B. He tells people they failed to pay personal taxes 10 years ago on a vehicle, and he has been deputized to collect the monies owed
C. He tells people they failed to show up for jury duty, and he has been instructed to collect a fine for their not doing so
D. He tells people they have failed to pay their fire district tax for the past three years, and it’s his job to collect those taxes, or they will face charges
6. Veteran city of Salisbury firefighter James Garris recently received a letter from a battalion chief with another N.C. city fire department, thanking him for his off-duty actions in responding to an emergency. What did Garris do?
A. Pulled a potential drowning victim from the water at a Charlotte park
B. Pulled a pregnant woman from a wrecked vehicle in Greensboro as it was starting to catch on fire
C. Rescued three cats and two dogs from a burning house in Raleigh
D. Assisted and made sure people were evacuated and safe from an apartment fire in Durham
7. Rod Crider of Wooster, Ohio, has been named the new leader of what organization?
A. RowanWorks, the economic development organization for Rowan County
B. Rufty-Holmes Senior Center
C. Rowan Museum
D. Rowan County Vocational Workshop
8. This downtown business owner has been named chairperson of the 2017 OctoberTour:
A. Bruce Wilson
B. Pam Hylton Coffield
C. Taylor Sexton
D. Mike Fuller
9. Salisbury Fire Department is celebrating its 200th anniversary this year. Before the city’s first water tank was erected on West Fisher Street, the department’s primary source of water was what?
A. Grants Creek
B. Town Creek
C. The well still on the grounds of the Rowan Public Library
D. City Lake
10. A group of 32 citizens purchased the equipment and formed the city’s first fire department in 1817. What was the original name of the city’s fire-fighting organization?
A. Salisbury Reel Team
B. Salisbury Bucket Co.
C. Salisbury Rescue Fire Brigade
D. Salisbury Vigilant Fire Company
By Mark Wineka firstname.lastname@example.org ROCKWELL — It’s always a pleasure to see Jim Deal, and I run into him a... read more