Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Mayor Karen Alexander was injured, not seriously, in a two-vehicle crash Thursday afternoon. At what Salisbury intersection did the accident occur?
A. West Innes Street and Statesville Boulevard
B. Faith Road and Jake Alexander Boulevard
C. South Fulton and West Monroe streets
D. North Main and Liberty streets
2. Staff of the Salisbury National Cemetery held a brief ceremony Thursday morning on the cemetery grounds during which Acting Director O’Neal Cunningham read from prepared remarks. What was the ceremony recognizing?
A. The official closing of the original National Cemetery off Railroad Street
B. The 10,000th burial in the “new” Salisbury National Cemetery next to the Hefner VA Medical Center campus
C. The 100th anniversary of the United States’ entrance into World War I
D. The 150th anniversary of the Salisbury National Cemetery
3. Why was former N.C. Gov. Bev Perdue in Salisbury Thursday?
A. In her present work for the Farm Bureau, she was meeting with farmers to talk about recent damage to their strawberry, peach and grape crops
B. She was here to see former Salisbury Mayor Susan Kluttz, who had become a friend of Perdue’s during Kluttz’s time as Cultural Resources secretary
C. She gave the opening day address for a two-day conference on what’s happening in Rowan-Salisbury Schools
D. She toured the headquarters and branches of Rowan Public Library as part of her work on state literacy programs
4. Heisman Trophy winner and former National Football League quarterback Tim Tebow is now playing Class A minor league baseball in the league that includes the Kannapolis Intimidators. For what team in the South Atlantic League is Tebow playing?
A. Hickory Crawdads
B. Columbia Fireflies
C. Augusta GreenJackets
D. Lakewood BlueClaws
5. Kenneth “Kenno” Shoaf has announced he will be retiring May 21. From what organization is Shoaf retiring after 38 years of service?
A. The YMCA
B. The United Way
C. The Salvation Army
D. Boy Scouts
6. N.C. House Rep. Carl Ford, R-Rowan, has introduced House Bill 508, which would tie the political majority on the boards of commissioners in Rowan, Davie and Stanly counties to party control on what other local board in each of those counties?
A. Board of Elections
B. The school boards
C. Board of Health
D. Board of Social Services
7. Saturday night was the closing performance for the Piedmont Players children’s theater play at The Norvell. What was the name of this production?
B. “Through the Looking Glass”
C. “Curious George Goes to School”
D. “Tales of a Fourth-Grade Nothing”
8. The new pieces have been installed around town for the 2017 Salisbury Sculpture Show. This makes how many sculpture shows since 2009?
9. The Hurley Family YMCA sponsored a pickleball tournament April 1 that drew 141 players from several states. What local civic club organized the tournament?
A. Salisbury Rotary
B. Salisbury Kiwanis
C. Salisbury Civitan
D. Rowan Rotary
10. Salisbury artist Robert Toth has had one of his sculptures installed in a peace garden in Charlotte. At what type of facility is his “Free Flights of Imagination” located?
A. History museum
B. Art gallery
C. War museum
D. Montessori school
SALISBURY — When a fellow resident at Trinity Oaks heard Doris Miller was approaching her 100th birthday, she looked hard... read more