Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Two public officials — one a Rowan County commissioner, the other a Salisbury city councilman — have floated the idea of having Sheriff Kevin Auten temporarily become head of the Salisbury Police Department, too. Who were the two officials who have suggested this?
A. Brian Miller and Mike Caskey
B. Jim Greene and Maggie Blackwell
C. Greg Edds and Karen Alexander
D. Craig Pierce and Kenny Hardin
2. The National Sports Media Association announced this past week it will be moving the organization from its 57-year home in Salisbury. To what city is the NSMA (formerly the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association) going?
3. Who is the man credited for having the idea — as far back as 1957 — of an annual Salisbury banquet honoring the best state and national sports reporters?
A. Jim Hurley
B. Hank Palmer
C. Pete DiMizio
D. Ed Dupree
4. Residential neighbors to Catawba College are opposing the school’s recent proposal to do what?
A. Rezone several parcels in the residential neighborhoods adjoining the campus
B. Tear down Newman Park and replace it with apartments for students
C. Expand the parking lot next to Keppel Auditorium
D. Allow fraternity houses in the residential properties the college already owns next to the campus
5. In a response to Salisbury City Council about whether it had the authority to limit the use of no-knock warrants, the N.C. Attorney General’s Office said what?
A. Yes, the council could put restrictions on the Police Department’s use of no-knock warrants
B. No, the council does not have the authority to limit their use
C. It’s a question for the U.S. Attorney General’s Office, not the state
D. The council could establish a separate board of citizens to rule on each request for a no-knock warrant to be executed
6. The Housing Advocacy Commission says the city of Salisbury has how many vacant or dilapidated houses?
A. Between 150 and 200
B. Between 350 and 450
C. Between 500 and 550
D. Between 700 and 800
7. Jake Alexander III of Salisbury recently stepped down from a four-year stint on what state board?
A. Natural and Cultural Resources
8. As a baby, Salisbury High senior Mikayla Mather was left on a villager’s doorstep in a rural part of China. An American couple, Richard Kevin Mather and his wife, Lisa, adopted her from an orphanage a year-and-a-half later. Mikayla now competes nationally in equestrian events and aspires to become what?
A. A NASCAR driver
B. A veterinarian
C. A horse trainer
D. A jockey
9. Adam Miller performed this past week at Rowan Public Library as part of the Cheerwine Concert Series with Friends of the Library. Miller is nationally known for his skill in playing what instrument?
A. The autoharp
B. The hammer dulcimer
C. The four-string banjo
D. The mandolin
10. Catawba College professor Dr. David Freeze’s latest book is the last of a trilogy on the local heritage of what N.C. county?
SALISBURY — When the National Sports Media Association said the other day it is leaving Salisbury after 57 years, it... read more