Area Sports Briefs: Wrestlers qualify for state tournament
From staff reports
Area wrestlers competed in regionals on Friday and Saturday to determine qualifiers for the state championships to be held on Feb. 16-18.
Top four placers in the regional advance to state competition.
In the 3A Midwest Regional at Piedmont High, near Monroe:
• Carson’s Bailey Rayfield was regional champion at 160 pounds
• East Rowan’s Jeffrey Burrell was regional runner-up at 138
• East Rowan’s Max Wall placed third at 170
• Carson’s Cameron Rayfield placed third at 152
• South Rowan’s Logan Lambert place third at 120
• Carson’s Josh Vega placed fourth at 113
In the 2A Midwest Regional at West Wilkes, Salisbury qualified five wrestlers for state competition.
• Jibri Cowan was regional champion at 132
• Timmy Boyd was regional runner-up at 126
• Mark Wright placed third at 152
• Kevion Chunn placed third at 195
• Chris Moore placed third at 285
In the 4A West Regional at Hough, A.L. Brown qualified two wrestlers for state competition.
• Isaiah Johnson was regional champion at 160
• Daniel Cruz placed third at 138
In the 4A Midwest Regional at Southwest Guilford, Davie qualified seven wrestlers for the state meet.
• Will Allen was runner-up at 138
• Anthony Olmedo was runner-up at 285
• Hunter Smith placed third at 113
• Hunter Strickland placed third at 152
• Kyle McCune placed third at 170
• Jesse Carter placed third at 195
• Jesus Olmedo placed fourth at 220
Gray Stone’s girls scored 78 points in the 1A/2A State Championships in Cary.
Emma Milem finished eighth in the 50 freestyle and 10th in the 100 free.
Breanna Miller was eighth in the 500 free.
The 200 free relay team of Miller, Milem, Katherine Carpenter and Abby Buechler finished eighth.
Gray Stone’s boys finished 18th with 44 points.
Leading the Knights was Benjamin Ostrander. He was fifth in the 50 free and 100 free races.
In Newberry’s 92-85 loss to Lincoln Memorial on Saturday, D.J. Copeland (A.L. Brown) had 10 points and three assists for Newberry. Mason Spease (C. Cabarrus) made 4 3-pointers for the Wolves.
Aliyah Farmer (North Rowan) had 10 points and seven rebounds in Mars Hill’s 66-59 win against Queens on Saturday.
West Rowan’s boys beat North Rowan, 27-25.
Camden Stamper and Spenser Harrison scored six points each for West.
Jason Artis was a defensive standout for West.
In the Liberty Elite Invitational, Zachary Marchinko (Carson) was 10th in the 3000 meters in 8:41.63.
Liberty’s Brittany Small (East Rowan) was eighth in the high jump, clearing 5 feet, 1 3/4 inches.
Staff report West Rowan’s boys indoor track team placed 10th in the 3A State Championships held at the JDL Fast... read more