Johnny Ray’s sauces showing up in Food Lion
MOUNT HOLLY – Johnny Ray’s Signature Sauces were picked to be in Food Lion’s new “local section” along with other select North Carolina favorites.
The first phase rolled out in the Raleigh and Eastern North Carolina markets at the end of 2016. The Charlotte and Greensboro markets will begin rolling out now. As customer demand is up for local products, this is the perfect opportunity for small food firms to showcase their flavors and for customers to have more options outside national and legacy food brands.
“We’re really proud of our humble beginnings,” said Johnny Ray. “We started out making these sauces nine jars in a batch for a couple butcher shops three years ago. The opportunity to be a part of Food Lion’s local roll out statewide is a testament to hard work, fantastic flavor and the shopper’s desire for something new, fresh, and with a farmer’s market feel.”
Johnny Ray’s Signature Sauces include Signature Bourbon Peach, 10 Bones and West Texas Heat. Originally sold in small butcher shops, produce stands and fresh food markets around Charlotte, the look and flavors caught the eye of Food Lion analysts, opening the door to future opportunities.
Johnny Ray and his small team have worked to scale production, distribution and growth on a shoe string budget, while entering the big leagues of the food business.
“Initially, I picked up a jar of 10 Bones for a family BBQ,” said John Silver Jr. of Concord. “Loved it so much I cooked over the next two weekends to try the other flavors … all are awesome … now I have the sauce at all our charity fundraisers.”
Other new foods for 2017:
• Well Yes! Campbell soups with simple and now popular ingredients.
• Mardi Gras King Cake Flavored coffee from Community Coffee.
• Krave bars with meat, quinoa and dried fruit.
• Lettuce Organic Tea, with “lettuce nutrients” to help you rehydrate.
• Good Karma Dairy Free Yogurt made with flaxmilk.
• Sunkist Fruit Chips Medleys. No artificial colors or flavors.
• Progresso Good Natured Vegan Soups.
• M&M’s Milk Chocolate Crispy S’Mores Candies.
• Paleo friendly Green Giant Cauliflower Crumbles Additions, Sweet Potato Noodles.
• Budweiser Brewmaster BBQ sauces.