• 41°

West Council Street fire began at electrical outlet

By Shavonne Walker
shavonne.walker@salisburypost.com

SALISBURY — Fire officials say a Tuesday morning fire began in the living room at an electrical outlet, causing about $10,000 worth of damage. The homeowners, Ernest and Gwen Seamans, were not home when the fire occurred.

Gwen said she discovered her house was on fire after receiving a call of concern from a friend who worked at Bank of America, located behind the home.

“She said ‘are you alright?’ ” Gwen said Tuesday.

The friend said her West Council Street home was on fire.

Gwen said she sped all the way from Mooresville where she worked because she was worried her son and godson were inside. Neither were home, but that didn’t stop her younger son, Dondrea, from sprinting toward brown and yellow house. Firefighters had to pull Dondrea back when headed up the steps. He said later he thought his brother was in the house. He also feared the dog was still in the house.

The family just got their new puppy, “Socks.” The rat-terrier and Pomeranian mix was inside a kennel in a back hallway. A firefighter who searched the house pulled the dog and the kennel from inside and handed it off to another firefighter at the door.

Firefighters could be seen consoling Dondrea and giving Socks oxygen.

Gwen said later she was just grateful her sons were not home and the dog was safe. She said all of the possessions that were ruined from smoke, water and fire damage were just “material.”

City Fire Marshal Terry Smith said they aren’t sure exactly if there was a malfunction in the outlet, but are confident it started at the outlet.

He said there was fire, water and smoke damage in the living room and hallway area.

Firefighters had to provide ventilation to the roof so the fire and smoke could escape. Smith said there was also some smoke damage in the attic area.

The following fire departments responded: Locke, Faith, East Spencer, Salisbury, Granite Quarry and the Rowan County Rescue Squad. The Salisbury City Fire Marshal’s Office investigated.

Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.

Comments

Education

Cooper vetoes bill that would force K-12 schools to reopen

Local

Lanning named Spencer’s fire chief

Crime

Blotter: Feb. 26

Crime

Salisbury, Kannapolis men charged with soliciting sexual acts

News

Racial bias ‘deeply entrenched’ in report critical of Apex Police Department

Nation/World

US bombs facilities in Syria used by Iran-backed militia

Elections

City council again dismisses idea of adding new member, focus now on recommendation to delay elections

Business

‘Let’s make some money:’ Loosened restrictions praised by bar owners, baseball team

High School

Salisbury High bucks historical trend in dominant shutout of West Rowan

Enochville

Garage declared total loss after Enochville fire

Crime

Cooper, N.C. prison officials agree to release 3,500 inmates

Coronavirus

Two more COVID-19 deaths reported in Rowan, six for the week

Crime

Blotter: Man brandishes AR-15, runs over motorcycle at Rockwell-area gas station

Crime

Salisbury man charged with exploitation of minor

Crime

Road rage incident results in assault charges

Local

Dukeville lead testing results trickle in, more participation needed

Education

Faith Academy interviewing staff, preparing site for fall opening

News

Volunteers work around obstacles, alter procedures to offer free tax services to those in need

Education

Education shoutouts

Local

Retired Marine gets recognition for toy collection efforts

Local

March issue of Salisbury the Magazine is now available

Education

Five get Dunbar School Heritage Scholarships

Education

Education briefs: Salisbury Academy fourth-graders think big as inventors

Education

Bakari Sellers keynote speaker at Livingstone College Founder’s Day program