Next Christmas Bureau application drive Dec. 3
SALISBURY — Families who may need help providing presents for their children this holiday can determine whether they are eligible for a number of area programs from a central location and application process through the Rowan County Christmas Bureau.
The Christmas Bureau was formed in 2013 as a way to make it easier for families and guardians to figure out which agency they qualify for when it came to receiving assistance. There are five organizations that fall under the bureau — Project Santa, Operation Santa, Christmas Happiness Fund, Angel Tree, and Toys for Tots.
Those interested fill out one application, which helps avoid duplication. There were two application sessions this past weekend and the next day will be Saturday, Dec. 3, from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at the J.F. Hurley YMCA. The Y is located at 828 W. Jake Alexander Blvd.
Once the applications are submitted and approved then the requests for services will be assigned to the appropriate agencies.
Volunteers take the applications and the Rowan County United Way coordinates.
The programs for which applications will be taken are:
• First Baptist Church of Denton, Project Santa, which delivers food and gifts to families in Davidson County and eastern Rowan County on Christmas Eve.
• Arc of Rowan, Operation Santa, which provides for families with developmentally disabled children.
• The Salisbury Post, Christmas Happiness Fund, which gives vouchers to families who qualify. Each child receives $30 per child that can be spent locally for toys and clothing.
• The Salvation Army, Angel Tree, which gives gifts for children and food for the family.
• U.S. Marine Corps, Toys for Tots, the community donates new, unwrapped toys into collection boxes and coordinators distribute the toys.
People applying for help through the Christmas Bureau should bring the following:
• ID/Driver’s License
• Custody papers, if guardian
• W-7 for each member of household
• Medicaid card
• If ID is expired, need a recent lease & utility bill
• Birth certificates for children 12 & under
• Proof of all income and expenses
Follow the Christmas Bureau Facebook page at www.facebook.com/RowanCountyChristmasBureau for regular updates on application dates and other details.
By Josh Bergeron email@example.com A poll worker error at a China Grove voting site led to a widely shared Facebook... read more