City manager to discuss mass notification system at City Council meeting
By Amanda Raymond
SALISBURY — City Manager Lane Bailey will discuss a mass notification system for the city at Tuesday’s City Council meeting.
The meeting will be at 5 p.m. at 217 S. Main St.
According to meeting documents, the city is now working with Nixle, a mass notification system, to begin a community notification system. The system would let citizens know when there were local emergency situations and relevant community advisories in real-time.
Citizens will need to register to get the alerts by text message, email or the OneBridge app. They can also receive the alerts on landline telephones.
The system will be demonstrated during the meeting.
In other business, the council will:
- Consider approving the retirement of police service K9 Jack and give him to his handler, Officer J.W. Martinez.
- Consider adopting the consent agenda, which includes:
- A $14,937 budget ordinance amendment to the fiscal year 2016-17 budget to appropriate Parks and Recreation donations.
- A $260,000 budget ordinance amendment to the fiscal year 2016-17 budget to appropriate Water and Sewer Asset Inventory Grant funds.
- A $94,340 budget ordinance in the fiscal year 2016-2017 budget to appropriate Downtown Revitalization Grant funds.
- Hear from Principal Michael Waiksnis and Deputy Principal Chris McNeil about the current initiatives at Knox Middle School.
- Hear a presentation from the Salisbury Community Development Corporation about its programs and goals.
- Hear an update on the revisions to the city’s special event permitting ordinance and consider setting a public hearing for Nov. 15.
- Consider making appointments to boards and commissions.
- Hear public comment.
- Hear comments from the city manager, including a first quarter financial report.
The mayor will proclaim November 2016 as Native American Recognition Month.
Contact reporter Amanda Raymond at 704-797-4222.
By Kaye Brown Hirst For the Salisbury Post SALISBURY — How do you thank someone for a phenomenal gift that... read more