Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Environmental watchdog groups and Duke Energy reached a settlement this past week on what should happen to the coal ash stored at Buck Steam Station in Rowan County. What will happen to the coal ash?
A. The coal ash ponds will be capped in place
B. After the water is removed, the coal ash will be spread as fertilizer on farmland
C. The coal ash can be excavated and moved to a lined landfill or recycled and used in concrete
D. The coal ash will be dug out, transported off site and burned in a hazardous waste incinerator in South Carolina
2. Reports released this past week from federal investigators found tremendous backlogs of veterans waiting for care at the Hefner VA Medical Center in Salisbury in a period between Jan. 1, 2014, and March 31, 2016. The report added that employees were trained to manipulate or “fix” data to make it appear appointments were scheduled in a more timely fashion. According to the report, how man veterans died while waiting for care at the Salisbury VA?
3. Prevent Child Abuse Rowan has been accepting donations that will be used as a memorial for Erica Parsons, the longtime missing Rowan County girl whose remains recently were found in South Carolina. What is the memorial?
A. A college scholarship
B. A cemetery headstone at West Lawn Memorial Park
C. A granite bench at West Lawn with an angel sitting on it
D. A new pedestrian bridge at Hurley Park
4. North Rowan Elementary School has started a Tuesday night program that tries to pull families together and teaches parents education-support strategies that can be used at home. What is the program called?
C. Delve Deep
5. The Salisbury High School girls tennis team has an impressive streak going. How many years in a row has Salisbury High captured its regular-season conference championship?
6. Why was a candlelight vigil held on the steps of the Rowan County Courthouse last Tuesday evening?
A. To bring awareness to domestic violence
B. To grieve the death of Erica Parsons
C. To honor victims of breast cancer and mark the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness Month
D. To honor the lives of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty over the past year
7. The city of Salisbury is thinking about offering advertising opportunities on what?
A. Fire trucks
B. City buses
C. Police cars
D. Snow plows
8. Health agencies have combined to establish drop boxes at nine different Rowan County locations for what?
A. Unregistered guns
C. Children’s books
D. Used prescription drugs
9. The art of North Rowan Middle School students was sold this weekend at OctoberTour. North Rowan Middle is a pilot program for what Philadelphia-based organization?
A. Things Go Better with Art
B. Fresh Arts
C. In the Paint
D. Bend the Rules
10. Among North Carolina’s most visited field trip attractions in 2015-16, where does Lazy 5 Ranch in Rowan County rank?
By Mark Wineka email@example.com GRANITE QUARRY — The State Employees Credit Union would like to locate a branch in Granite... read more