Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Francis “Billy” Johnson, who headed Hedrick Gravel & Sand, Johnson Concrete and Carolina Stalite for many years, passed away last Sunday at the age of 96. She was a huge fan and supporter of her alma mater, which was what university?
A. N.C. State
B. UNC-Chapel Hill
D. Wake Forest
2. The remains of Erica Parsons were found near Chesterfield, S.C., last Tuesday. The missing Rowan County girl had not been seen since what year?
3. In 1997, Livingstone Athletic Director Andre Springs had a golf day in Huntersville he’ll never forget. What happened that day?
A. He caddied for golf great Arnold Palmer
B. He played a round of golf with basketball legend Michael Jordan
C. He scored a hole-in-one in the same group as Jack Nicklaus
D. He beat a young Tiger Woods in an exhibition match play
4. Four suspects in an armed robbery of a T-Mobile store in Salisbury fled to a hotel, forcing the evacuation of guests while a search for the men was conducted. What hotel was evacuated?
A. Hampton Inn
B. Best Western
C. Country Inn and Suites
5. To many Appalachian State University alumni, Rowan County native Gerald Adams, who retired Friday, was known as “Mr. Yosef.” Adams was director of a club that raises money for what?
A. ASU’s environmental program
B. ASU sports
C. ASU’s education department
D. ASU’s music department
6. Salisbury Academy conducted a “See You at the Pole” ceremony at the school last Wednesday. The student-led rally, part of gatherings that brought millions of students together across the globe, has what as its focus?
C. Love of country
7. Campaign finances are at the root of federal charges brought against N.C. Sen. Fletcher Hartsell, R-Cabarrus. According to reports, which of the following things did Hartsell not pay for using campaign donations?
A. Tickets to a Carolina Panthers playoff game
B. Tickets to “Jersey Boys”
C. A trip to Charleston to hear his wife’s handbell choir
8. This coming Friday, a symposium will be held at Rowan Museum where experts will discuss the best practices in issues such as transportation design, community planning, historic preservation and sign control. Who is the main sponsor of this symposium?
A. The N.C. Department of Commerce
B. The Rowan Historic Properties Commission
C. Scenic America
D. The N.C. Department of Cultural Resources
9. The Band Attic in Spencer held a video contest for musicians of any instrument. A Greensboro resident, Ernie Nanetti-Palacios, won the contest. What instrument did Nanetti-Palacios play?
B. Bass guitar
10. One half of a famous music duo will be performing at Lee Street theatre Friday night. Who is it?
A. Art Garfunkel of Simon and Garfunkel
B. John Oates of Hall and Oates
C. Jim Seals of Seals and Crofts
D. Toni Tennille of The Captain & Tennile
GRANITE QUARRY — Pattie Beaver has been to every Granite Quarry Civitan Fiddlers Convention since the event debuted in 1967.... read more