Contestants for Miss Rowan County Veteran
The Miss Rowan County Veteran competition is part of the Faith Fourth of July festivities. The winner will be crowned immediately after the parade on the Fourth.
Here are the young women who are competing:
- O’Shannus Alexandra Wood, representing VFW Post 9134. A resident of Rockwell, she is the daughter of Margaret and David Shure and Daniel and Sherry Wood. she is a rising junior at East Rowan High School. As a member of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, she plans to get her doctorate in psychology and eventually working at the VA Medical Center. She is the vice president of student government as well as a member of the Red Cross, school yearbook club and photography club. She has been nominated for the Service Above Self Award twice. She volunteers at the VFW and Red Cross at the VA Medical Center and is active in her church.
- Haley Grace Lyerly, representing Voiture 115, Rowan County 40&8. A resident of Salisbury, she is the daughter of Jim and Jill Lyerly. She is a graduate of East Rowan High School and a sophomore at Western Carolina University. While in high school, she participated in East Rowan’s cross country team all four years and made All-County and All-Conference her junior and senior year. She was also a National Honor Society member and graduated with honors. She plans to get a degree in nutrition and dietetics.
- Megan Len Huffman, representing American Legion Post 448. A resident of China Grove, she is the daughter of Judy and Kris Huffman. She is a graduate of Jesse C. Carson High School and will attend Wingate University in the fall. While in high school, she was vice president of student council and participated in Leadership Team, Relay for Life, Orange and Blue Crew, National Honor Society, Drama Club and International Thespian Society. She graduated as a NC Scholar in the top 10 of her class. She has been a competition dancer for seven years at Center Stage Dance Company and has traveled with and supported the American Legion team. In her free time, she volunteers with Rowan Helping Ministries, Relay for Life, Kids of Cleveland and Special Olympics.
- Destiny Leeanne Whitman, representing Landis American Legion 146. A resident of Landis, she is the daughter of Terry and Rebecca Whitman. She is a sophomore at Catawba College and plans on earning her doctorate in nuclear chemistry. She is involved in Student Issues Committee, honor board of Catawba College and the Catawba choir. She attended the 75th Tarheel Girls State. She loves hockey and animals ans says art a music are a big part of her life. She works at China Grove Family House.
- Morgen Star Ridenhour, representing AMVETS Post 845. A resident of Rockwell, she is the daughter of Dawn and A.J. Hendry. She is a rising junior at East Rowan High School and is in the top 10 of her class. She participates in Junior Civitan, East Rowan’s honors chorus and is the vice president of Crosby Scholars. She was awarded Daughters of the American Revolution Citizenship Award. She has also volunteered for Halloween and Easter AMVETS fundraisers and works part-time at Dan Nicholas Park. She wants to become a nurse anesthetist.
- Addison Lynne Wise, representing Post 185. A resident of China Grove, she is the daughter of Scott and Amy Wise. She is a rising junior at South Rowan High School. She participates in student council, Spanish Club, Relay for Life and is a varsity cheerleader. She hopes to become a pediatrician and is a former Miss Poppy volunteer at the VA Medical Center.
- Carlie Darnell, representing Faith American Legion Post 327. A resident of Salisbury, she is the daughter of Joe and Julie Darnell. She is a graduate of East Rowan High School and plans to attend the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and earn her degree in education. During high school, she was active in Junior Civitan, honors chorus, National Honor Society, a school musical and cheerleading. She is involved in the Memorial Day Concert at East Rowan and works weekends at Sno Biz.
- Heavenly Alexis Robinson, representing J.C. Price American Legion Post 107. A resident of Salisbury, she is the daughter of Darryl and Kinya Tillman and Steve Latrice Robb. She is a rising senior at Salisbury High School. She participates in basketball, volleyball, track, Junior Civitan Club, Salisbury Speedsters Track Club, Upward Bound Math and Science Program and Cornerstone Church Teen Crew. She volunteered at the Special Olympics at West Rowan, plans on volunteering at the VA and homeless shelter, loves traveling and spending time with family and friends.
- Beth Ann Martin, representing AMVETS Post 565. A resident of Salisbury, she is the daughter of Nathan and Cindy Martin. She is a graduate of South Rowan High School and a sophomore at Catawba College. While in high school, she played basketball and was captain of both the volleyball and softball teams. She participates in softball and is an honors student at Catawba. She is studying psychology and plans to work at the VA Medical Center. She has worked at Patterson Farm for five years, was in National Honor Society, was former president of American Patriots Club, member of SGA, FFA and Relay for Life.
- Ashley Brooke Mayhew, representing Harold B. Jarrett Post 342. A resident of Rockwell, she is the daughter of Jeff and Karen Mayhew. She is a graduate of East Rowan High School where she participated in cheerleading, track, cross country, National Honor Society, student council, Junior Civitan, honors chorus, and Sigma Phi Gamma. She plans to attend N.C. State University and major in biology.