Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:00 am Sunday, June 12, 2016
1. Salisbury’s new police chief, Jerome Stokes, was deputy chief in a city outside of North Carolina. Where is he coming from?
A. Wilmington, Del.
B. Lynchburg, Va.
C. Franklin, Tenn.
D. Sumter, S.C.
2. Though he didn’t win the Republican primary for the 13th U.S. House District, who was the leading vote-getter in Rowan County.
A. Jason Walser
B. Harry Warren
C. Andrew Brock
D. John Blust
3. U.S. Rep. Richard Hudson, R-N.C., won the GOP primary for the 8th District U.S. House seat. Who will be his Democratic opponent in the November general election?
A. Thomas Mills
B. Bob Isner
C. George Holding
D. He will be unopposed
4. Salisbury’s Linda Cureton Dillard once did something special for boxer Muhammad Ali in 1977. What was it?
A. She made Ali a five-course meal
B. She hand-tailored a suit for the champ
C. She sang for him
D. She caddied for Ali at a benefit golf tournament
5. Salisbury golfer Frank Adams III accomplished something exceptional this past week. What was it?
A. He aced the “Island Hole” at the Players Championship
B. He set a N.C. record by acing three different holes on three different courses on three consecutive days
C. He played a round of golf in Florida with Tiger Woods and beat Woods by a stroke
D. He qualified for the U.S. Open
6. In honor of the late Ralph Ketner, cofounder of the grocery chain, Food Lion donated 95,000 meals to Rowan Helping Ministries last Tuesday during an awards ceremony called what?
A. The Chow Bells
B. The Din-Dins
C. The Feedys
D. The Munchies
7. Cpl. Zachary Cunningham, a Marine, marked Memorial Day in an unusual way by doing what?
A. Running the length of East and West Innes streets dressed only in an American flag
B. Cooking 1,000 hot dogs for Reservists in Salisbury
C. Saluting every marker in Salisbury National Cemetery
D. Watching “Battle of the Bulge” five consecutive times
8. What’s the focus of a new exhibit opening at the Rowan Museum today?
A. The Civil War
B. Civil rights
D. Native Americans
9. How big is the 2016-17 fiscal year budget passed by the Rowan County Board of Commissioners?
A. $45 million
B. $75 million
C. $99 million
D. $165 million
10. Go Burrito! owner Mike Wetzel has taken his business into a new phase focused on what?
A. Selling chicken
B. Selling steak sandwiches
C. Selling pizza
D. Selling franchises