• 57°

Rowan weather: Same song, second verse

June has arrived, with her dose of afternoon rain and storms, and nothing much has changed in the week’s forecast.

Any of the storms could turn severe, with frequent lightning, gusty winds, heavy downpours and hail.

Today’s chance of rain is 30 percent, mainly after 4 p.m. It  will be partly sunny and 85. Calm winds for the most part, then becoming north northeast at 5 mph. Less than a tenth of an inch of rain, except higher in storms.

Tonight also has a 30 percent chance of showers and storms, mainly before 9 p.m. It will be mostly cloudy and 67, with fog forming around 4 a.m. Again, not much rain is expected.

Thursday has a 40 percent chance of storms and showers, mainly after 1 p.m., with mostly cloudy skies and a high of 84. Same chance of rain Thursday night, with a low of 66. The heaviest rain will be in thunderstorms.

Friday also has a 40 percent chance of showers and storms, starting earlier, after 11 a.m. Mostly cloudy again, with a muggy high of 86 and little wind. Friday night has the same chance of rain with a low of 67.

Saturday’s chance of rain is back to 30 percent, with showers in the early afternoon and thunderstorms possible after that. The high will approach 90, around 88 degrees. Then the chance of rain goes back up to 40 percent Saturday night with a low of 68.

Sunday’s high will be 84, with a 40 percent chance of rain, with showers in the morning, then showers and storms in the afternoon. It will be mostly cloudy again. Sunday night’s chance of rain climbs to 60 percent, with storms tapering off before 11 and showers continuing overnight. The low will be 65.

The sun returns Monday, with mostly sunny skies and a high of 82. The low will be 62.

Tuesday will be sunny and 82 again.

Comments

Crime

Concord man charged with woman’s murder in drive-by shooting

Ask Us

Ask Us: Have city, county elected officials received COVID-19 vaccine?

Local

City gives away nearly 100 trees during ‘We Dig Salisbury’ event

Local

Political Notebook: Bitzer expects most ‘Trump-like’ candidate to be favorite in state’s Senate race

Crime

Blotter: Concord man arrested in Rowan for indecent liberties with children

Coronavirus

Half of US adults have received at least one COVID-19 shot

Nation/World

Police: FedEx shooter legally bought guns used in shooting

News

Hester Ford, oldest living American, dies at 115 … or 116?

Local

Size of pipeline spill again underestimated in North Carolina

BREAKING NEWS

Kannapolis Police searching for suspect who fled scene of homicide

Education

RSS superintendent talks district’s future, strategic plan survey

News

Complaints and fines pile up against unpermitted landfill in southwest Rowan County

College

Catawba baseball: Crowd comes out to say goodbye to Newman Park

Lifestyle

History is a great teacher: Farming has helped shape Rowan County

Business

‘A safe place for them’: Timeless Wigs and Marvelous Things celebrates fifth anniversary

China Grove

County will hear request for more tree houses, hobbit-style homes in China Grove

Coronavirus

Livingstone College partners with Health Department to administer 500 Pfizer vaccinations

Education

‘Elite and it shows’: Staff at Partners in Learning at Novant celebrate news of national accreditation

Business

Biz Roundup: Food Lion earns Energy Star award for 20th consecutive year

Columns

Ester Marsh: What body type are you?

Nation/World

The queen says goodbye to Philip, continues her reign alone

Nation/World

Worldwide COVID-19 death toll tops a staggering 3 million

Nation/World

US, China agree to cooperate on climate crisis with urgency

Nation/World

Sikh community calls for gun reforms after FedEx shooting