Preservation Award winners named; dinner May 26
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, May 4, 2016
Historic Salisbury Foundation will recognize 20 projects and individuals during the 34th Annual Historic Preservation Awards May 26.
The event, to be held at Salisbury Station, will begin with a 6 p.m. dinner, followed by the presentation of awards.
Since 1983, more than 600 individuals and projects in Salisbury and Rowan County have been recognized in the areas of neighborhood and commercial revitalization, historic education and publications, craftsmanship, and volunteerism in support of historic preservation efforts.
These awards not only bring recognition to the individuals and projects, but also help the broader community understand the value of historic preservation, according to a HSF news release.
Buttercup Café is catering the event. Reservations are $20 per person and may be made online at www.historicsalisbury.org, or by calling 704-636-0103 during regular office hours. Deadline for reservations is Thursday, May 12.
Here is a list of this year’s honorees under the various categories:
Commercial revitalization through historic preservation
• Chad Vriesema and Bryan Wymbs for the rehabilitation of the Bernhardt Hardware Building located at 113 N. Main St. into three retail locations, including Sweet Meadow Café, Abigail’s – A CakeAffair, and Lora Belle Baby.
• Raymond Bostian for the rehabilitation of the Bostian Retirement Planning building located at 1410 N. Main St.
• Bill Graham, Andy Maben, Gian Moscardini, Edward Moscardini and Gianni Moscardini for the rehabilitation of the Salisbury Tractor Building into New Sarum Brewing Co.
• The Salisbury Fire Department for the rehabilitation of Salisbury Fire Station N0. 5
• Jody Sedberry for the rehabilitation and adaptive use of a 1941 Christian Science Church into Sedberry’s Framing & Art Gallery.
Private preservation and neighborhood revitalization
• Jeff and Kelly Cannon for the rehabilitation of the W. Goodson House at 923 N. Main St.
• Priscilla Clark for the rehabilitation of the Ovelle White Burton House.
• Elysia Demers for her advocacy and activism in Chestnut Hill Neighborhood.
• Phil and Dodie King for their advocacy and activism in Kesler Mill and Park Avenue Neighborhood.
• Barbara Perry for her community appearance efforts.
• St. Luke’s Episcopal Church for the renovation of the church building.
Long-time preservation leader
• Lynn Raker for her advocacy for the city of Salisbury.
• Tommy Stoner for the rehabilitation of 301 4th St. and encouraging neighborhood revitalization.
Preservation education and publications
• John Brindle for leading the Register of Deeds office in digitizing images and land records dating back to 1753.
• Robert Crum for his work, “Listening to My Ancestors,” a compilation of watercolors that explore, revive and preserve stories of his ancestors who settled in Rowan County beginning in 1749.
• Carol Rathbun for the transcription of the “Mary Cowan Hall Cookbook.”
• Mark Wineka for the celebration of historic restorations and structures consistently seen in Salisbury the Magazine.
Preservation craftsmen and professionals
• Chad Morgan for the interior faux finishes and cornice designs in the Fulton-Mock-Blackmer House.
• C.J. Peters for the rehabilitation of porch and windows on the Ovelle White Burton House.
• Alfred Wilson for the renovation of the St. Luke’s Episcopal Church building.
Volunteer of the year
• Leslie Black for her work in the J.W. Hall House Herb Garden and the many other projects she has led for Historic Salisbury Foundation.
Hall House docent recognition for dedicated service
• Carol Rathbun for 2,100 hours of service.
• Doug Black for 1,300 hours of service.
• Leslie Black for 1,300 hours of service.
• Nancy Bilson for 1,200 hours of service.
• James Bevels for 1,000 hours of service.
• Gavine Pitner for 500 hours of service.
• Teri Steelman for 400 hours of service.
• Beth Bentley for 200 hours of service.
• Mark Alexander for 100 hours of service.
• Emily Bame for 100 hours of service.
• Katherine Stevens for 100 hours of service.