Red Flag warning for Saturday; postpone burning
The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag warning in effect from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday for wind and low relative humidity for the Piedmont, including Rowan County.
* Timing…Windy conditions will combine with critical humidity conditions through much of Saturday, especially the afternoon and early evening hours.
* Winds…Northwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.
* Humidity…In the upper teens to lower 20s percent range during the afternoon hours.
* Fuel moisture…Mostly in the 5 to 10 percent range and falling.
* Impacts…Wildfires will develop and spread rapidly under these conditions.
Instructions: A Red Flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now or will shortly. The combination of strong winds and low relative humidity will greatly enhance the potential for fire growth.