Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Lee Street theatre’s production of “The Parchman Hour” centers on what aspect of modern history?
A. The Freedom Riders of 1961
B. U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan
C. The presidential campaign of 1980
D. The hour after the second World Trade Center tower fell on Sept. 11, 2001
2. Salisbury’s Taylor Mattress Co. has closed. How long ago did the company first incorporate?
3. State Sen. Andrew Brock, R-Davie, said he plans to run for what recently redrawn U.S. House District in North Carolina?
A. The 5th District
B. The 8th District
C. The 12th District
D. The 13th District
4. The city of Salisbury is relying on the State Bureau of Investigation’s help related to what matter?
A. The misappropriation of city funds by a former employee
B. The firing of a Salisbury Police officer
C. A workplace accident at City Park
D. Hiring practices in the Fire Department
5. Rowan County had a ribbon-cutting at the Rowan County Animal Shelter this past week for what new addition?
A. A rehabilitation barn for neglected horses
B. A dog wing
C. A cat wing
D. A medical wing to treat sick dogs and cats
6. A candidates’ forum for the Rowan County Board of Commissioners was held this past week at Catawba College. There are three Republican candidates in the March 15 primary. Who are they?
A. Jim Sides, Larry Wright and Jim Greene
B. Craig Pierce, Mike Caskey and Johnny Love
C. Geoffrey Hoy, Veleria Levy and Mike Caskey
D. Greg Edds, Craig Pierce and Johnny Love
7. Former Salisbury Police Officer Kenny Lane and the city of Salisbury reached a settlement related to Lane’s wrongful termination suit against the city. As part of that deal, what will the city pay Lane?
8. The China Grove Fire Department’s ISO (insurance) rating has improved two points, from 6 to 4, and town officials give a lot of credit for the improved rating to whom?
A. Locke Fire Chief Rusty Alexander
B. China Grove Mayor Lee Withers
C. Former Mayor Don Bringle
D. Bostian Heights Fire Chief Mike Zimmerman
9. Charlie Dry has opened a new barbershop in Rockwell called Rhino Barbers. How did Dry get his nickname “Rhino?”
A. As a kid, he insisted on seeing the rhinos at the N.C. Zoo at least once a month
B. Dry has a big build, and his fellow wrestlers in high school gave him that name
C. His dad gave him the nickname after noting how heavy-footed Dry was going through the house one morning
D. Dry has a pretty big nose
10. For 10 years, Erwin Middle School has held a certain kind of tournament as a way to raise money for Relay for Life. What game do participants play?
B. Three-on-three basketball
By Mark Wineka firstname.lastname@example.org SALISBURY — You’ve heard that some people are left-brained, some right-brained. Dr. J. Daniel Brown, known... read more