Crime blotter: Woman scammed by man claiming to be from Publisher’s Clearing House
A 73 year-old woman reported that she had been scammed out of $2,000 Thursday.
The woman reported that she had received a call from a man named Mike Grant who said he was with Publisher’s Clearing House. Grant told her she’d won a $500,000 prize, but that she needed to send him a $2,000 processing fee.
She told deputies that she wired the money through Western Union. Grant then called her back and requested another $3,000. That was when she realized it was a scam, she told deputies.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports that the money was sent to an account in the Philippines. The case is still under investigation.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
• The Eagle and Whitaker Jewelry and Pawn in Granite Quarry reported that stolen property was found at their store on Thursday.
• A Cleveland woman reported Thursday that she received a letter from Bank of America on Oct. 8 informing her that she had opened four checking accounts, and other letters informing her that the accounts had been closed. Bank of America told her that someone opened the accounts online using her name, social security number, and address.
• A man reported that a handgun was stolen from his residence at the 8000 block of Longbriar Drive, Kannapolis, Thursday.
• A woman reported Thursday that items had been stolen from her car at the 100 block of Clear Creek Lane, Mooresville.
• A man reported credit card fraud Thursday at the 100 block of Middle Brook Drive, Rockwell.
• A man reported that a spare tire was stolen from his fifth-wheel trailer Thursday at the 200 block of Shuping Mill Road.
• A man reported Thursday that an aluminum ramp was stolen from his residence at the 100 block of Paige Drive.
• Kristy Marie Bryant, 35, was charged Thursday at the 200 block of South Oakhurst Drive with cyber stalking.
• Robin Yarborough Oliver, 58, was charged at the Magistrate’s Office with trafficking heroin or opium, Thursday.
• Christopher Adam Grinstead, 26, was charged Thursday with breaking and entering and obtaining property by false pretenses at the 4900 block of Highway NC 801, Woodleaf.
• Jonathan Stacey Troutman, 30, was charged at the 200 block of Paige Drive, Thursday, with possession of a controlled substance.
• Gary Wayne Reid, 51, was charged at the 200 block of Hard Rock Drive, Rockwell, with possession of a controlled substance, Thursday.
• William Trevor Keller, 16, Nevin Devon Wilder, 16, were charged at the Sheriff’s Office with simple assault, Thursday.
• Evangeline Smith Lambert, 45, was charged with simple assault Thursday at the 2400 block of Summit Avenue, Kannapolis.
In Salisbury Police Department reports:
• A man reported being robbed at knife point Friday at the intersection of South Clay Street and Cherry Street.
• Police found drug paraphernalia Friday at the 700 block of Grove Street.
• A woman reported a breaking and entering at a residence at the 200 block of Wilson Road, Saturday.
• Police responded to reports of a break-in at the 1100 block of North Main Street, Saturday.
• A woman reported that her phone had been stolen Saturday at the 700 block of East Innes Street.
• Police responded to a report of shots fired Saturday at the intersection of West Innes Street and South Fulton Street. A woman on location admitted to firing several shots into the air.
• A woman reported an assault Saturday at the intersection of West Innes Street and South Fulton Street.
• A man reported an assault Sunday at Shive Street.
• Brenda Louise Frazier, 52, was charged Saturday with simple assault and battery or affray at the 600 block of South Shaver Street.
• Monique Nicole Jefferson, 34 was charged Saturday with two counts of simple assault and battery or affray at the intersection of North Fulton Street and West Kerr Street.
CONCORD — The Centralina Workforce Development Board will hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony celebrating the opening of a newNCWorks Career... read more