Woman loses $1,500 to fake tax collector
A Salisbury woman lost $1,500 in a phone scam on Tuesday, according to the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
The woman reported that a company called “Law Enforcement Action” left a message on her answering machine on Friday informing her that she owed income taxes. She told Rowan County Sheriff’s Office deputies that she did, in fact, owe taxes, so she didn’t think it was a scam.
When she called back, she spoke to a woman who identified herself as Officer Rose Gilbert. Gilbert provided the woman with a badge number, and said that her agency partnered with the United States Treasury and the call was in reference to a $6,000 outstanding balance in income taxes. Gilbert said that if the woman could pay 50 percent of the balance, she would be eligible to use a payment plan for the rest.
The woman told Gilbert that she could not afford to pay $3,000, but she could pay $1,500. Gilbert instructed her to get a Green Dot card and place the amount on it.
The woman did as she was asked, and gave Gilbert the card number. She told deputies that she was placed on hold for a long time before Gilbert came back and said that she’d spoken with the district attorney and that the agency was not satisfied with the $1,500.
The woman says that’s when she realized it was a scam, and that she had lost her money. She hung up and reported the incident to the Sheriff’s Office. It is currently under investigation.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
- A man reported a credit card fraud Tuesday at the 200 block of Eastbrook Circle.
- A woman reported an assault Tuesday at the 2100 block of East Ridge Road.
- A woman reported Tuesday that her TV had been stolen from her home at the 5900 block of N.C. 152, Rockwell.
- Carlos Manuel Rodriguez, 23, was arrested Tuesday and charged at the Sheriff’s Office with vehicle breaking and entering.
- Tony Lee Cole, 51, was arrested Tuesday and charged at the Sheriff’s Office with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
- Two men, Danny Robert Wood, 48, and Austin Alexander Dunford, 21, were arrested Tuesday at the 400 block of Roberts Street and charged with larceny.
- Trevor Wayne Timm, 16, was arrested at the 1000 block of Phaniel Church Road, Rockwell, on Tuesday and charged with resist, delay, and obstructing a public officer when he attempted to flee from deputies on foot. According to the report, narcotics were found on his person.
In Salisbury Police Department reports:
- A sexual assault was reported Wednesday at the 1200 block of Rowan Mill Road.
- Police seized marijuana Wednesday while conducting a traffic stop at the corner of West Monroe Street and Brenner Avenue.
- A woman reported Wednesday that items were stolen from her vehicle at the 500 block of North Lee Street.