10 things to know for today
The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. $470,000 IN CASH ABOARD INDONESIAN PLANE THAT CRASHED
The money was intended for poor families to help offset a spike in fuel prices. It remains unknown whether anyone on board survived the crash.
2. WHO FAVORS DEPORTING CHILDREN OF PEOPLE ILLEGALLY IN U.S.
GOP candidate Donald Trump says he would push to end “birthright citizenship” for the babies of undocumented immigrants living in the U.S.
3. AS SEAS RISE, SALTWATER PLANTS OFFER HOPE TO FARMS
Indian scientists are testing naturally salt-tolerant plants as one of the solutions to what they see as a fast-approaching agricultural crisis which threatens millions of poor subsistence farmers across Asia.
4. HOW 2016 HOPEFULS TRY TO STAY HEALTHY ON CAMPAIGN TRAIL
Scott Walker is counting steps on his FitBit. Jeb Bush swears by the Paleo diet. Bobby Jindal is a “gym rat.”
5. RESIDENTS DEMAND COMPENSATION IN TIANJIN BLASTS
The explosions claim the lives of at least 114 people, with 70 still missing, including 64 firefighters and six policemen.
6. FORMER NAACP CHAIRMAN JULIAN BOND DIES AT 75
Through the tough struggles of the civil rights movement, he always kept his sense of humor, and it was his steady demeanor that helped him persist, the activist’s wife recalls.
7. CALIFORNIA MEASURE FAILS TO CREATE GREEN JOBS
The state has no comprehensive list to show how much work has been done or how much energy has been saved, the AP learns.
8. WHY AMERICANS WAITING LONGER THAN EVER TO BUY FIRST HOMES
They are struggling to save for down payments and facing delays in some key landmarks of adulthood, from marriage and children to a stable career.
9. MORGAN FREEMAN’S STEP-GRANDDAUGHTER FATALLY STABBED
A 30-year-old man who police say was in a relationship with Edena Hines is taken into custody at the scene — in front of her apartment on West 162nd Street in New York.
10. IT’S JASON’S DAY!
Jason Day delivers a record-setting performance at Whistling Straits that brought him a major championship he started to wonder might never happen.