Blotter: Woodleaf man charged with insurance fraud
By Shavonne Walker
A Woodleaf man faces a felony charge of insurance fraud after officials with the N.C. Department of Insurance received information he tried to make a claim for a fall in a local fast food restaurant that didn’t occur.
Michael Martin McGunigal, 52, of the 500 block of Campbell Road, was charged Friday and was issued a written promise to appear in court.
The offense occurred Oct. 13, 2014, involving McDonald’s on West Jake Alexander Boulevard. According to an arrest warrant, McGunigal initiated an insurance claim with Zurich North America after he told the restaurant manager, L.J. Miller, and the insurance company he fell in the restaurant because of a recently mopped and wet floor, when in fact, he never fell down.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office served the warrant, which was issued by the state department of insurance. He had a court appearance Monday and is expected back in court Sept. 16.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported on Friday he was the victim of a burglary in the 100 block of Red Pine Road, Gold Hill.
• A man reported on Friday a vandalism occurred in the 100 block of Pineview Circle.
• A man reported on Friday someone stole numerous items from his outbuilding in the 3400 block of Morgan Road, Gold Hill.
• C&D Salvage and Garage reported on Friday they were a victim of fraud at 645 Lentz Road, China Grove.
• A woman reported on Friday she was the victim a domestic disturbance in the 400 block of Hartman Road.
• A man reported on Friday a larceny from his building in the 300 block of Paige Drive.
• A man reported on Friday his license plate was stolen from the 100 block of Red Pine Road, Gold Hill Road.
• A woman reported on Saturday someone stole her her license plate from her vehicle in the 300 block of Pop Stirewalt Road.
• A man reported on Saturday he was the victim of a burglary, vandalism and assault in the 200 block of Redmon Road, Cleveland.
• Kangaroo Express reported on Sunday someone used a stolen debit card at the store, 1030 Mooresville Road.
• State Employees Credit Union reported on Sunday someone used a stolen ATM card at the Centerview Plaza in China Grove.
• A woman reported on Sunday she was the victim of an assault in the 2300 block of Pritchard Street, Kannapolis.
• Mitchell Larue Graves, 31, was charged on Friday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 400 block of Hartman Road.
• Melvin Antonio Maxwell, 30, was charged on Friday with possession of a firearm by a felon while at the Rowan County Courthouse.
• Franklin Scott Black 52, was charged on Friday with felony sex offender failing to notify of an address change, while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Johnny Oscar Curtis, 69, was charged on Saturday with misdemeanor child abuse in the 1200 block of Grandeur Drive.
• Derrick Sandimanie, 25, was charged on Saturday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 400 block of Roberts Street.
• Joe Giddings, 48, was charged on Sunday with misdemeanor communicating threats in the 2000 block of Briggs Road.
• Ebony Chantel Evans, 22, was charged on Sunday with misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon in the 400 block of Chesapeake Drive.
• Haley Lynn Sapp, 21, was charged on Sunday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 100 block of Jakes Drive.
• Joshua Brian Greer, 23, was charged on Sunday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 100 block of Jakes Drive.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
Scott Derryl Keyes, 52, of Rockwell, was found not guilty of misdemeanor assault on a female following a May 11... read more