American Legion Baseball: Area III playoffs
From staff reports
Mike McHugh drove in the winning run in the bottom of the 10th inning to lift Winston-Salem to an 8-7 win against Kannapolis on Sunday.
Winston-Salem took the best-of-three, first-round series two games to one.
Tenth-seeded Kannapolis (10-16) trailed 6-3 when Alex Rodriguez hit a two-run homer.
Kannapolis tied the game in the ninth and took a 7-6 lead on Chandler Hubbard’s homer in the top of the 10th.
Seventh-seeded Winston-Salem (14-9) came back with two runs in its half of the 10th.
The teams split a doubleheader on Saturday,
Kannapolis won 7-5 in Winston-Salem on Saturday afternoon but lost 8-5 at home on Saturday night.
• Fifth-seeded Davidson County won 12-2 and 14-7 against 12th-seeded Stanly County in a Saturday doubleheader to win that series.
• Sixth-seeded Kernersville won 3-2 Saturday and 10-6 on Sunday to win its series with 11th-seeded Mooresville.
• Third-seeded Eastern Randolph swept its series with No. 14 seed Greensboro.
• Fourth-seeded Randolph County swept No. 13 seed Concord, winning 9-2 on Friday and 13-2 on Sunday.
Second-round matchups (best-of-five). Start Monday:
(1) Rowan County vs. (9) Mocksville
(2) High Point vs. (7) Winston-Salem
(3) Eastern Randolph vs. (6) Kernersville
(4) Randolph County vs. (5) Lexington
From staff and wire reports Kannapolis Intimidators pitcher Yency Almonte nearly pitched a no-hitter in Saturday’s 1-0 win at Augusta.... read more