Area Sports Briefs: Intimidators overpowered
From staff reports
West Virginia rolled to an 11-3 win over the Kannapolis Intimidators on Wednesday at Intimidators Stadium.
The visiting Power didn’t have to do much with the bats, as the Intimidators (2-5, 37-39) walked a season-high 12 batters. Six of those free passes came around to score.
Mason Robbins went 4-for-5 with two RBIs for Kannapolis, his second four-hit game of this season. Nick Basto walloped a two-run homer.
West Virginia’s Austin Coley (10-4) earned his South Atlantic League-leading 10th win, giving up two runs on five hits in five innings. Chase Simpson hit a two-run homer for the Power.
Yelmison Peralta (2-7) took the loss, giving up five runs on seven hits in four innings.
Kannapolis continues a four-game series against the Power on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. Thad Lowry (8-3, 4.04) takes the mound for the Intimidators.
The Intimidators will wrap up the homestand on Friday with a post-game fireworks show.
• Joe Peeler (East Rowan) has pitched in three games for the Seattle rookies in the Arizona League and has an 0-1 record.
He’s pitched three innings. He has one strikeout and has allowed two walks and five hits.
• Jerry Sands (Catawba) drove in a run for Columbus on Wednesday.
Sands is batting .262 with nine homers and 27 RBIs for the Clippers.
• Corey Seager is batting .314 this season between Double-A Tulsa and Triple-A Oklahoma City.
The No. 1 prospect of the L.A. Dodgers, Seager has 11 homers and 21 doubles.
• Whit Merrifield (Davie) is batting .276 in 75 games for Omaha, Kansas City’s Triple-A team.
Merrifield has two homers, 17 RBIs and 17 steals.
• Paul Kronenfeld (Catawba) is batting .226 with three homers and 22 RBIs for Dayton, a Class A farm club of the Cincinnati Reds.
• Nick Lomascolo (Catawba) allowed two runs in a relief outing on Wednesday but is having another good year.
Lomsacolo has fanned 44 in 36 innings. He’s 0-1 with a 3.00 ERA.
• Chris Dula (Catawba) struck out the side in a relief appearance for Hickory on Tuesday.Dula is 1-0 with two saves.
His ERA is 4.91. He’s 1-0 with two saves in 23 relief appearances.
Bobby Parnell (East Rowan) has been pitching well in relief for the New York Mets.
Parnell pitched a scoreless inning on Wednesday.
While he hasn’t reclaimed the closer job following Tommy John surgery, Parnell (1-0) hasn’t allowed a run in seven appearances as a setup man.
He’s struck out six, walked two and allowed four hits in 6 2/3 innings.
• Kyle Seager (NW Cabarrus) is having a good season for Seattle with 12 homers, 38 RBIs and a .258 batting average, although he hasn’t had a hot streak yet.
Wood bat leagues
Will Albertson (Catawba) hit his first homer of the CPL season and went 3-for-4 with three RBIs on Tuesday.
Albertson is batting .250 with 13 RBIs.
The South got off to a great start in Wednesday’s Area III All-Star Game, but rain washed out an early 3-1 South lead at Asheboro’s McCrary Park.
• The Area III playoffs start on Friday.
• Kannapolis is seeded 10th and plays at No. 7 Winston-Salem on Friday. Kannapolis will be home on Saturday.
See Scoreboard for pairings.
West Rowan graduate Celexus Long is headed to Ferrum, a D-III school in Virginia, to continue his education and basketball career.
In the 115th North and South Amateur Championship being played at Pinehurst No. 2, Eric Edwards (Salisbury) shot 3-over 73 in Wednesday’s third round.
Edwards made a birdie and four bogeys.
Edwards shot 77 Monday and 76 Tuesday. He finished at 16-over 226, 14 shots off the pace, and tied for 30th.
Only the top 16 golfers in the 96-player field advanced to match play.