Blotter: Police cite two with traffic violation, drug offenses
By Shavonne Walker
Salisbury Police issued citations for two men, one of whom had three smoking pipes and other drug paraphernalia.
The incident began Tuesday morning at the intersection of Newsome Road and Park Avenue when a burgundy Dodge Stratus was pulled over during a license checkpoint. The driver, Cody Ray Holt, had a burned out headlight, a report said.
Holt, 18, of the 1400 block of Ribelin Road, was issued a citation for a burned out headlight. However, his passenger, Nicholas David Michael Harris, 17, of the 1000 block of Copeland Trail, was issued issued a citation for misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia and simple possession of marijuana.
Police Capt. Melonie Thompson said the officer could smell marijuana coming from the vehicle and asked the two when they last smoked the substance. The driver, Cody Holt, paused and said he’d never smoked marijuana, but he had friends in his car recently who had.
The two teens were asked to step out of the vehicle so they could be searched. Harris had something in his hand that he balled up and placed in his front pocket. The officer found a bag with one gram of marijuana.
The officer found a bag in the center console that contained mesh, marijuana seeds, clear plastic bags, tweezers, an unbent paper clip with black residue on it and a multi-colored smoking pipe with some marijuana inside it. The officer also found a glass smoking pipe shaped like a gun and a black smoking pipe in the glove box.
Holt told the officer all of the items belonged to him.
In other police reports:
• A woman reported on Friday someone scratched the paint on her door in the 700 block of South Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue.
• A man reported on Saturday he was the victim of an assault in the 700 block of East Innes Street.
• A burglary and sex offense were reported on Saturday that occurred in the 200 block of Imperial Drive.
• A woman reported on Sunday a vandalism occurred in the 1100 block of Old Plank Road.
• Shannen Brenay Shaw, 23, was charged Monday with felony uttering a forged instrument in the 200 block of West D Avenue.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A woman reported on Friday her home was broken into in the 800 block of Daughtery Road, China Grove.
• A woman reported on Saturday a burglary occurred in the 100 block of Red Pine Road, Gold Hill.
• Miller’s Chapel Church reported on Saturday a break in occurred sometime overnight, but nothing was taken at 920 Miller Chapel Road.
• A man reported on Saturday his home was broken into and items were stolen in the 1000 block of Poole Road.
• A man reported on Saturday his home was broken into and money stolen in the 1900 block of Pine Ridge Road, China Grove.
• A woman reported on Saturday someone stole items from her residence in the 400 block of Safrit Road.
• A woman reported on Sunday a burglary occurred in the 400 block of Willow Oaks Drive, China Grove.
• Brittany Dawn Thomas, 29, was charged on Friday with being a fugitive from justice while at the magistrate’s office.
• Christopher Alvin Shaver, 41, was charged on Friday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 300 block of Majolica Road.
• Robert L. Senah, 30, was charged on Saturday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 7000 block of Old Concord Road.
• Garrett Kyle Holcombe, 31, was charged on Saturday with felony obtaining property by false pretenses while at the county magistrate’s office.
• Margeaux Gene Burak, 51, was charged on Sunday with misdemeanor assault on a government official while at the county magistrate’s office.
• Cynthia May Harkey, 28, was charged on Sunday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 1000 block of Dunn’s Mountain Road.
• Michael Bryan Freeman, 51, was charged on Sunday with felony possession of a firearm by a felon in the 200 block of Katie Drive, China Grove.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.