Area Sports Briefs: Intimidators win finale before break
From staff reports
Nick Basto hit a go-ahead homer in the fourth, and the Kannapolis Intimidators rolled to a 10-4 South Atlantic League win over Greensboro on Sunday at NewBridge Bank Park.
Kannapolis (35-34) won seven of its last 10 games to finish the first half above .500 for the first time since 2011.
Spencer Adams (3-4) pitched five innings for the win.
Nick Lomascolo (Catawba) made his 20th appearance of the season on Sunday for Peoria.
Lomascolo is 0-1 with a 2.78 ERA. He’s struck out 39 batters in 32 innings.
Lefties are batting .211 against the southpaw.
• Chris Dula (Catawba) is 1-0 with two saves in 20 relief appearances for Hickory. Dula’s ERA is 5.40 ERA. He’s allowed five homers.
• Paul Kronenfeld (Catawba) is batting .230 with three homers and 21 RBIs for Dayton.
• Jordan Jankowski (Catawba) is 3-2 with the Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies.
He’s pitched in 28 games and has a 4.13 ERA.
• Yankees draft pick Will Albertson is still playing for the Asheboro Copperheads in the Coastal Plain League and could be back in a Catawba uniform next season.
• Corey Seager (NW Cabarrus) is certain to be in the major leagues before the end of the season. The top prospect of the L.A. Dodgers, Seager is batting .293 with four homers, 13 doubles and 21 RBIs in 43 games with Triple-A Oklahoma City. A lefty hitter, Seager is batting an astounding .360 against lefty pitching. Three of his homers were against lefties.
Eric Stowe had three hits and Dillon Atwell pitched a complete game with five strikeouts as Southern Rowan won 7-2 at Kernersville on Saturday.
• Jacob Nestor had four hits and Logan Sheets had three as Kernersville won 9-7 at Kannapolis.
Mark Perkins hit a two-run homer in the ninth for Kannapolis. Caleb Threadgill hit a solo homer.
Wyatt Taylor and Jackson Raper had three hits each. Threadgill had two hits.
The China Grove 12-year-old all-stars qualified for the state tournament in Marion.
Aaron Bradshaw hit two homers, while Parker Steele hit one homer. Drew Watkins, Colby Rankin and Jack Weaver hit .500. China Grove pitchers were Barrett Thompson, Weaver, Watkins and Bradshaw.
The McCanless Couples played Captain’s Choice on Sunday. The winning team was Azalee Story, David Huneycutt, Crane Jay and Walt & Kim Kincaid.
The second-place team was Tim Earnhardt, Ty & Beverly Cobb and Gene & Mary Seaford. Story won closest to the pin. Ty Cobb won longest putt.
• The Rowan Masters is set for June 26-28 at Warrior.
Lenoir-Rhyne graduate Jazmine Charles , who starred in basketball, is a nominee for Woman Of The Year for Division II.
Charles was a four-year starter at L-R and leaves the program ranked first in career 3-pointers made (183) and fifth in points scored (1,605).