Prep baseball: Falcons, Hornets are 3-0
From staff reports
West Rowan’s baseball team got strong pitching from Brandon Walton, Brett Graham and Harrison Baucom and won 4-2 against Statesville on Saturday.
Graham got the win in relief, while Baucom picked up the save.
Kacey Otto drove in two runs to lead the offense for the Falcons (3-0).
• On Friday, West Rowan got one-hit pitching from Bryan Ketchie and beat Mooresville 10-0 in a five-inning game.
Otto, Baucom and Juan Garcia knocked in two runs each.
The Falcons are off to a good start under new coach Seth Graham.
• Salisbury won 9-0 against High Point Central in its home debut on Saturday and is off to a 3-0 start.
Salisbury took a 1-0 lead into the fifth, but the Hornets scored a lot of runs late. Riley Myers, who also starred defensively at shortstop, hit a three-run homer in the sixth.
Ryan Jones had two hits. Winning pitcher Harrison Smith helped himself with three RBIs.
“ Harrison really pitched well today and Jones came in and did exactly what we need him to do,” Salisbury coach Scott Maddox said. “The score wasn’t indicative of the game. It was a battle for five innings.”
Salisbury is scheduled to host Davie Wednesday and travel to Forbush on Thursday.
• A.L. Brown topped North Rowan 9-4 on Saturday.
Damon Johnson homered for the Wonders (1-1) and drove in two. Clayton Gilmore had two hits.
A.L. Brown hurler Matt Brown fanned eight Cavaliers. Center fielder Kameron Sherrill shined defensively for the Wonders.
Brandon White had two hits for the Cavaliers (0-2). Cory Fries took the loss.
• East Rowan played twice on Saturday and wound up with a split.
Tyler Scruggs was strong on the mound in a 4-1 win against Mooresville.
Scruggs pitched into the sixth. Alec Hamilton earned a save.
• The Mustangs lost 13-0 to North Davidson Saturday night.
Harrison Bell took the loss for East Rowan (3-1).