Area Sports Briefs: CIAA tournament begins
From staff reports
Livingstone’s women’s basketball team opens play in the CIAA tournament with a 2:20 game on Tuesday against Bowie State at Time Warner Cable Arena.
If the Blue Bears, the Southern Division No. 3 seed, win, they’ll advance to a Wednesday quarterfinal against J.C. Smith.
Livingstone’s men have a bye into the quarterfinals.
The Southern Division No. 2 seed, they’ll take the floor against Lincoln at 7 p.m. on Thursday.
Pairings and times for the tournament are in Scoreboard.
• Livingstone’s all-conference players: (men) Eric Mayo, Eric Dubose and Hakeem Jackson and (women) Cierra York were honored at Monday’s tip-off awards luncheon in Charlotte, along with CIAA All-Rookie pick Alexis Fowler.
• The CIAA announced coaches of the year on Monday.
Lincoln’s Jessica Kern was named women’s coach of the Year after leading the Lions to a 19-7 mark. Bowie’s State’s Darrell Brooks is the men’s coach of the year after leading the Bulldogs to a 21-7 record and the Northern Division’s No. 1 seed.
Darius Moose (Carson) scored 16 points for Brevard in an 87-75 loss to Lincoln Memorial in a Monday makeup game.
•Isaiah Cuthbertson (West Rowan) had 12 points and six rebounds for Mars Hill in a 74-57 loss to Tusculum on Monday.
Catawba overcame a three-minute penalty for an illegal stick and rallied to defeat Rollins 10-8 in men’s lacrosse on Monday at Shuford Stadium. The Catawba Indians notched their first win of the season.
Connor Kennedy had four goals and two assists for Catawba.
Craig Brooks’ seven- inning no-hitter on Monday against Brevard was the first complete game no-hitter for a Catawba pitcher since 1988 when Rob Linder (Salisbury) did the trick against North Carolina A&T.
The Catawba Indians last threw a no-hitter in 2004 when Paul Link (West Rowan) and Brian Benton combined for one against Barber-Scotia.
Brooks’ no-hitter was the sixth in school history.
Starting times for first-round playoff games on Tuesday:
• Forbush at North Rowan girls (6 p.m.), followed by Salisbury at North Rowan boys (7:30)
• Asheboro at South Rowan girls (6)
• North Henderson at East Rowan girls (6)
• Porter Ridge at Davie girls (7)
• West Rowan at Asheville Erwin girls (6)
• Carson at Northern Guilford girls (6)
• A.L. Brown at Rocky River girls (7)
• West Rowan at Weddington boys (7:30)
• Carson at Ledford boys (8)
• Ashe County at Lexington boys (6)
In the WPAC tournament, the North Hills girls beat Grace Academy 55-17.
Olivia Houghton scored 17 points and Sieria Eagle had 14.
Quay Weeks had 19 points and four assists as West Rowan’s boys won 40-29 against Corriher-Lipe.
Jay Joseph had 13 points, eight rebounds and four steals for the Bulldogs (6-2), while Baiden Suddarth had 10 rebounds.
Austin Barnes had 18 points for Corriher-Lipe.
West Rowan plays Erwin Tuesday.
• Middle school scores and standouts can be emailed to email@example.com.
Parks and Rec
Salisbury Parks and Recreation is accepting teams wanting to play in the men’s preseason softball tournament and the men’s spring softball league.
The tournament starts on March 16. The league starts April 13. The coaches meeting will be held on March 12 at 6 p.m. at Hall Gym.
Teams can register online at www.salisburync.gov/play. Call 704-216-2709 for information.