Area Sports Briefs: East’s Jones tabbed for East-West All-Star football
From staff reports
East Rowan announced Sunday that offensive lineman Daniel Jones will play in the East-West All-Star Game.
The football all-star game is scheduled for July 22 in Greensboro.
The entire team hasn’t been announced yet.
A.L. Brown’s Mike Newsome is the head coach of the West squad.
North Rowan’s Corey Fries competed in the 1A-2A Championships in the 50 and 100 freestyle races and finished 15th in the 50.
NR’s Fries, Luke Miller, Blake Pegram, and Cody Dollarhide also competed in the 400 free relay.
First baseman Jordan Goodman (NW Cabarrus, Kannapolis Legion) is coming back from four ACL tears and went 5-for-10 in his first five games with Pitt Community College.
• Noah Holmes (East Rowan) is back from shoulder surgery and had his first hit for Appalachian State since May, 2013, on Saturday.
• Brian Bauk (Salisbury) started on the mound for App. State Saturday. He went three innings and struck out four in a no-decision. The Mountaineers lost 4-3 to Canisius.
• Pfeiffer’s Dylan Goodman (South Rowan) had three hits in a weekend sweep at Emmanuel.
Catawba’s men lost 15-6 to Belmont Abbey.
Dalton Cook had two goals and an assist for the Indians.
• Catawba’s women lost to Queens 18-5.
Caroline Beggs scored three goals for Catawba.
Steffi Sides (East Rowan) went 2-for-2 and drove in a run for Guilford in a 6-5 loss to Averett on Sunday.
• Elon’s Chelsea White (East Rowan) earned a save Saturday in a 1-0 win against Jacksonville State.
White retired seven hitters and fanned five.
Tevin Stark (A.L. Brown) scored 23 points for Sandhills Community College in a 98-96 win against Davidson County CC.
Nate Jones (Davie) scored 23 points for the Storm, and Tre Williams (Carson) had 15.
• Keshun Sherrill (West Rowan) had 15 points and five assists for GRU Augusta in Saturday’s 71-61 win against Lander.
Charlotte’s Ayanna Holmes (Salisbury) had the most amazing game of her college career Saturday — a double-double without scoring a point.
Even though she shot 0-for-3, Holmes had 10 rebounds and 10 assists as the 49ers rallied to win 82-73 at Southern Miss. She played all 40 minutes.
Olivia Rankin (Salisbury) had four points and three boards for the 49ers.
•Bubbles Phifer (Salisbury) scored 20 points for J.C. Smith in a 78-71 loss to Shaw on Saturday.
Sebastian Holmberg will represent Catawba at the Division II Nationals on March 10-14 in Indianapolis.
By Mike London email@example.com SALISBURY — Fifteen minutes after it ended, Livingstone’s muscular senior forward Eric Mayo was still blinking tears out... read more