• 41°

Rowan weather: Record-breaking cold

It’s 11 degrees at 7:35 a.m., with clear skies and bright sun. With winds around 11 mph and gusts as high as 22 mph, it feels like it’s 1 below 0 out there.

We can expect a high of 19 today, with a low of 2 tonight. Wind chill will make it feel like 7 below 0. The record low for Thursday is 6 degrees.

The Red Cross has opened a warming station at their office on Jake Alexander Boulevard, but it is not an overnight shelter. Please be sure neighbors, friends and family are protected from a night even colder than the one we just had. And don’t forget pets and livestock, either.

There is a small warming trend Friday, with a high near 25. Winds from the north around 5 mph will make it feel like 6  below 0. Friday night, look for a 30 percent chance of show with a low of 19. Little accumulation is expected.

On Saturday, we have a 40 percent chance of precipitation, with a chance of snow before noon, then snow and sleet between noon and 2 p.m. Again, no accumulation is expected. The high will be 37. Saturday night has a 40 percent chance of rain, after 8 p.m., with a low of 37, we we’ll have a variety of weather, but a steady temperature.

Rain is likely Sunday, with a 70 percent chance, and a high near 55. There’s a 30 percent chance of rain and snow Sunday night, with a low around 34.

And there’s a 30 percent chance of rain and snow Monday, with a high near 46. Monday night will be calm with a,low near 26.

Tuesday should be mostly sunny and 44, with a low around 24.

And Wednesday looks sunny, too, but with a high of just 39 degrees.

Comments

Nation/World

House passes sweeping voting rights bill over GOP opposition

Nation/World

Police uncover ‘possible plot’ by militia to breach Capitol

Nation/World

States rapidly expanding vaccine access as supplies surge

News

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper receives COVID-19 vaccine

News

North Carolina health officials urge schools to reopen

Crime

In letter, PETA criticizes Salisbury Police for K-9 video

Coronavirus

Three deaths, 29 new COVID-19 positives reported

Crime

Blotter: Bullet holes found in woman’s Park Avenue apartment

Crime

Man faces assault charges for domestic incident

High School

Photo gallery: Carson girls win West Regional, headed to state championship

High School

High school basketball: Carson girls headed to state championship game

Local

Commissioners set date for public hearing on potential solar energy system rule changes

Health

Two of Rep. Sasser’s bills successfully pass through Health Committee

Local

Rep. Warren’s measure to allow removal of public notices from newspapers put on back burner

China Grove

China Grove Town Council weighs future of previously rejected housing development

Local

Salisbury City Council hears public comments, receives presentation on Main Street reconfiguration

Crime

Blotter: Man charged with felony drug offenses

Nation/World

California crash kills 13 of 25 people crammed into SUV

Nation/World

Biden vows enough vaccines by end of May

Coronavirus

State to vaccinate medically vulnerable starting March 24

Coronavirus

One new death, 20 new COVID-19 positives reported in Rowan

Kannapolis

Kannapolis man dies in moped crash

Crime

Salisbury Police chief addresses K-9 video, says officer separated from animal

Local

Rowan Rescue Squad sets record straight on fundraising typo