HSF’s Sacred Places Tour set for March 21
SALISBURY — Historic Salisbury Foundation will host its second annual Sacred Places Tour, featuring 10 historic churches, a cemetery and a restoration in progress.
The tour takes place from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. March 21.
An introduction will be given by Kaye Hirst, executive director of the Rowan Museum, highlighting the first settlers and the development of Lutheranism in the area. This introduction will take place at 9:30 a.m. at Organ Lutheran Church, located at 1515 Organ Church Road, Rockwell.
The 2015 Sacred Places Tour will feature historic churches along Faith Road and U.S. 52, including churches in Faith, Rockwell, Granite Quarry, Gold Hill and Salisbury.
The tour will give visitors a view of the physical space as well as the stories of those who have played a role in the development of each church. All churches and cemeteries on the tour will be open for visitors between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Docents will be present to answer questions and provide more information at each church. Many churches also will have prepared something extra for their guests to enjoy along the way.
The 2015 Sacred Places Tour supports Historic Salisbury Foundation’s mission of historic education and preservation throughout Rowan County. By highlighting churches, HSF will acquaint the public with each church’s rich history and the contributions religious institutions have made in the development of the community.
Tours in future years will take different routes throughout the county to highlight the social, economic and architectural impact various houses of worship have made.
Advance tickets are $10 per person. Tickets ordered online or by phone will be held under your name at “will call,” located at Organ Lutheran Church. Tickets purchased on the day of the tour will be available at Organ Lutheran Church and Soldiers Memorial AME Zion Church in Salisbury for $15.
For more information regarding this tour, call the Historic Salisbury Foundation office at 704-636-0103. The foundation also has a Facebook page with updates on events.
The tour sites;
• Christiana Lutheran Church, 6190 U.S. 52, Salisbury.
• First Baptist Church of Gold Hill, 330 Baptist Church Road, Gold Hill.
• Gold Hill United Methodist Church, 720 St. Stephens Church Road, Gold Hill.
• Grace Lower Stone Reformed Church, 2405 Lower Stone Church Road, Rockwell.
• Michael Braun Cemetery, 770 Stone House Road, Salisbury.
• Nathan Brown House, 1266 S. Main St. (Old U.S. 80), Granite Quarry.
• Organ Lutheran Church, 1515 Organ Lutheran Church Road, Rockwell.
• Shiloh Reformed Church of Faith, 100 S. Main St., Faith.
• Soldiers Memorial AME Zion Church, 306 N. Church St., Salisbury.
• St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, 205 St. Paul’s Church Road, Salisbury.
• Ursinus United Church of Christ, 116 W. Main St., Rockwell.
• Wittenberg Lutheran Church, 114 W. Bank St., Granite Quarry.