• 52°

Rowan weather: Winds chills will be below 0

Noon: We may have thundersnow today as the squalls of snow head our way from the mountains, where it is already snowing.

The biggest concern for tonight, tomorrow and Friday remains the wind chill. Winds will pick up today, with gusts as high as 29 mph, and continue through Friday morning.

Tonight, the low will drop to 7 degrees, with continued wind and wind chills as low as 6 below 0.

Saturday we have another chance of snow, but it will likely turn to rain Saturday night and Sunday, with a 60 percent chance of precipitation.

A winter weather advisory is in effect until 11 this morning.

A wind chill advisory is in effect from 7 tonight to 10 a.m. Friday.

The winter weather advisory is mainly due to icy spots on roads, then the snow possible later today.

Winds will blow from the northwest at 10-20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph, leading to wind chills as low as -10 degrees. The extremely cold air and winds can lead to frostbite or hypothermia, so wearing a hat and gloves is essential.

The bitter cold will be deeper than it has been this winter. Temperatures will be 20 to 30 degrees below normal tonight through Friday and 15-20 degrees below normal on Saturday.

The continued cold can lead to frozen water pipes, damaged undrained sprinkler systems and result in a thin layer of ice on ponds and along stream banks. Power outages are possible, especially during peak demand.

Now is the time to check on friends and family to ensure they have adequate heat, or to take them to a warm shelter. Any outside water supply for pets and livestock will freeze and remain frozen for several days, so be sure to protect animals and provide unfrozen water.

At 8:15, it is 19 degrees in Salisbury. We have a 50 percent chance of snow showers, mainly after 2 p.m., and skies will turn cloudy. The high will be 36 degrees, with winds from the north northwest at 5-15 mph this morning, switching to the south southwest this afternoon, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Little snow accumulation is expected.

Tonight’s low will be around 7 degrees. With winds from the west northwest at 9-14 mph and gusts as high as 24 mph, the wind chill will make it feel like 6 below 0.

Thursday will be sunny, but bitter cold, with a high around 20 and wind chills again around 7 below 0, with winds from the west northwest at 8-11 mph and gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday night will be dangerously cold, with a low of 2 degrees and a wind chill of 5 below 0.

Friday will only be slightly warmer, despite sunny skies, with a high near 24. The wind will calm. Friday night brings a 20 percent chance of snow after 2 a.m., and a low of 16.

There’s a 50 percent chance of snow before 1 p.m. on Saturday, then a chance of rain. It will be cloudy with a high near 37. Rain is likely Saturday night, with a low around 34.

Sunday brings a 60 percent chance of rain, with a high near 53. Sunday night will have a 40 percent chance of rain, with a low of 34.

Monday will be partly sunny and 42, with a low around 26. Tuesday should be mostly sunny with a high near 42.

Comments

Elections

City council again dismisses idea of adding new member, focus now on recommendation to delay elections

Business

‘Let’s make some money:’ Loosened restrictions praised by bar owners, baseball team

High School

Salisbury High bucks historical trend in dominant shutout of West Rowan

Enochville

Garage declared total loss after Enochville fire

Crime

Cooper, N.C. prison officials agree to release 3,500 inmates

Coronavirus

Two more COVID-19 deaths reported in Rowan, six for the week

Crime

Blotter: Man brandishes AR-15, runs over motorcycle at Rockwell-area gas station

Crime

Salisbury man charged with exploitation of minor

Crime

Road rage incident results in assault charges

Local

Dukeville lead testing results trickle in, more participation needed

Education

Faith Academy interviewing staff, preparing site for fall opening

News

Volunteers work around obstacles, alter procedures to offer free tax services to those in need

Education

Education shoutouts

Local

Retired Marine gets recognition for toy collection efforts

Local

March issue of Salisbury the Magazine is now available

Education

Five get Dunbar School Heritage Scholarships

Education

Education briefs: Salisbury Academy fourth-graders think big as inventors

Education

Bakari Sellers keynote speaker at Livingstone College Founder’s Day program

Nation/World

Biden aims to distribute masks to millions in ‘equity’ push

Nation/World

Chief: Capitol Police were warned of violence before riot

Nation/World

GOP rallies solidly against Democrats’ virus relief package

Nation/World

FDA says single-dose shot from Johnson & Johnson prevents severe COVID

High School

Coaches, lawmakers react to governor’s order expanding sporting event capacity

Coronavirus

Three new COVID-19 deaths, positives remain below triple digits