• 72°

Rowan weather: Little melting today; 2 degrees Thursday night

4:30 p.m. : The temperature is just above freezing, 35 degrees, but sun is sparse. Tonight’s low will be around 19.

We are under a winter weather advisory for refreezing ice and black ice from 7 p.m. tonight to 11 a.m. Wednesday.

Snow showers are likely Wednesday afternoon, with a high near 35. Winds will blow from the west southwest from 8-13 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. A 60 percent chance of precipitation.

The low Wednesday will be 6 degrees, with wind chill values as low as -3.

Thursday will be sunny and very cold, with a high near 18. Wind chill values will make it feel as low as -3 degrees. Thursday’s low will be 2 degrees, with winds from the north norhwest at 5-7 mph.

Friday will be mostly sunny, but again very cold, with a high near 24. Friday night has a 30 percent chance of snow after 4 a.m., with a low of 14.

Saturday brings a 50 percent chance of snow, with a high near 38, and rain and snow are likely Saturday night, with a 60 percent chance, and a low around 34.

Rain is likely Sunday, with a high near 51 and a 60 percent chance of precipitation. Sunday night’s chance of rain is 40 percent, with a low around 32.

Monday will be mostly cloudy with a high near 43 and a low around 24.

Tuesday will be partly sunny and near 42 degrees.

Noon update: It’s now 27 degrees and the sun is helping to melt a little of the sleet accumulation from overnight.

Winds are blowing from the north at 7 mph, making it feel like it’s 19 degrees outside. We may reach a high of 34, but tonight’s low will drop to 20.

We still have a 50 percent chance of snow Wednesday, along with gusty winds.

In a conference call, Rowan Emergency Management Services said we can expect more snow this weekend. The National Weather Service predicts a 30 percent chance of snow Friday night, with a low of 14, and a 50 percent chance of rain and snow Saturday, with a high near 36. We’re expecting a 60 percent chance of wintry mix Saturday night, with a low of 34 and more precipitation on Sunday and Sunday night, with a 50 percent chance and a high near 50, with a low around 30.

At 8 a.m., we’re still at 19 degrees with cloudy skies. A coating of sleet and snow is covering roads and sidewalks. Cars left outside overnight have a significant layer of ice that needs to be scraped before attempting travel.

Schools are closed and government offices and businesses are operating on a delay.

We’ll reach a high of only 34 degrees today, with little melting, and we’ll have winds from the north northeast, shifting to the west northwest at around 5-7 mph. Tonight’s low will be around 20 degrees.

Wednesday brings a 50 percent chance of snow showers, mainly after noon. Skies will be partly sunny, but the high will be only 33 degrees. Winds pick up in the afternoon, with gusts as high as 20 mph. The chance of snow drops to 20 percent Wednesday night, with a low around 5 degrees. The wind will make it feel as low as -4.

Thursday will be bitterly cold, dangerous to people with any sort of respiratory problem, and to the rest of us. It will be mostly sunny, with a high of 19. Again, winds will blow from the west northwest at 7-11 mph with gusts up to 20 mph.

Thursday night’s low will be 2 degrees.

Friday will be sunny again, but the high will only reach 24 degrees. A 30 percent chance of snow comes in Friday night, with a low of 14.

Saturday, there’s a 50 percent chance of rain and snow, with a high near 36. Saturday night, the chance of rain and snow goes up to 60 percent, and the low will be 34.

Sunday will be warmer, again with a 60 percent chance of rain and snow, with a high near 50. The continued chance of rain or snow will be 50 percent Sunday night, with a low around 30.

And Monday we still have a 30 percent chance of rain and snow, with partly sunny skies and a high near 41.

Comments

Nation/World

$1 trillion infrastructure plan clears Senate hurdle

College

College-bound North Carolina football player shot to death

Legion baseball

American Legion baseball: Rowan bounces back behind Schenck, reaches semifinals today

Education

Johnson C. Smith, Pfeiffer universities among latest to pay off student debts

Kannapolis

American Legion baseball: Kannapolis ends season

Business

Evictions looming as Congress refuses to extend ban that expires today

Coronavirus

Panthers linebacker Perryman will wear mask, won’t get vaccinated

Crime

Kannapolis man gets 180 months in prison after $100,000 worth of narcotics found in his apartment

Crime

New court date set for county commissioner’s driving while impaired case

Crime

Man arrested for pair of Salisbury convenience store robberies

Coronavirus

Governor changes course on masks amid worsening trends from delta variant

Coronavirus

Vaccination rules for federal workers toughened

Local

Mayor Alexander joins coalition of NC mayors urging passage of bipartisan infrastructure package

Local

New forklift’s arrival ‘a joyous moment’ for Rowan Helping Ministries

Local

Quotes of the week

East Spencer

Spencer, East Spencer hosting joint National Night Out

Business

Backcountry and Beyond prepares for move to downtown Salisbury

Education

Kannapolis City Schools will ‘strongly recommend,’ not require masks

Business

Ahold Delhaize hopes to add 100 new employees at Salisbury distribution center

Local

Cooler weather on the horizon for Rowan after heat wave

Crime

Blotter: July 29

Local

Downtown residents, business owners say noisy construction is A-OK, sign of progress to come

Business

County unemployment rises in June, positive job growth seen in leisure and hospitality sector

Local

NC poet laureate will speak during historical marker celebration, talks about life, race